Whats the over/under that android phone makers start making small phones now that iphone mini lives?

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by kojack, Oct 14, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think we will see android phone makers start making small phones again. Thoughts?

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Hope so. I think there is still a big market out there for small form factor phones. Been using iPhone 6 for the last few weeks, its form factor is just perfect.
    It's a shame that in mainstream only Samsung offers few small phones and that's about it, the rest of the market is flooded with shovels. Back in the day Sony used to make good compact smartphones.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Agreed. I love the size of my 8. It's the best size in your hand.

4. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Hehehe... :D

But if serious, I'm waiting to see how battery life is on 12 mini, and if it's worth the 880 Euro asking price :O
    If not, just gonna get SE 2020

5. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The market doesn't really agree on the small form factor comment, they have never done well compared to mid or full size phones that are contemporary to them but then you stamp an Apple logo on a dog turd and the cool-aid drinkers will buy it so I'm sure it will sell just fine.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It will also drive android makers to make similar yet underperforming turds as well! ;)

7. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They've been making them off and on all along which was the point; they've never done well but Apple might do better since they have a group of people that will buy any turd they drop. That isn't BTW all of Apple users we're talking about when we discuss turds, just the ones that buy mindlessly for the brand.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes I know. But every mobile turd I owned running android always had stability and performance issues, while the "turds" from apple were fast smooth and reliable. My issues with my iPhone 8 were because of my Sim card, not the phone. My 11 started doing the same thing so we swapped to a new Sim card and it's fine.

9. killkenny1

Reputations:
    I miss small factor phones... The convenience to take it out of a pocket, pop a few messages using one hand, check some stuff quickly and make a call, and then put it back in.
    I get that "media consumption" is better with large shovels, but there are people like me, who treat their phones like a communication device first and foremost, and just need a small, reliable and functional phone.

I went from LG V30, which is a pretty feature rich phone even to this day, to iPhone 6, which aged quite a bit. OLED screen, AOD, better battery life, ultrawide angle camera, better performance - these are some of the features V30 has and I miss, but...but the convenience of small form factor device just overshadows it all.

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    While I agree with you 100 percent @killkenny1 , I am really enjoying my iphone 11. The camera on it is Crazy good compared to my 8.

killkenny1 likes this.