Whats the first thing you did when you got your M17x

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by vek2001glm, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dondadah88

dondadah88 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ran 3dmark06 then vantage :)

2. vek2001glm

vek2001glm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    looks like i have a couple decisions to make. far cry 2 was the game that i couldnt remember. thanks for the info.

3. Encephalon9986

Encephalon9986 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I installed windows 7. Then installed the following programs:
    RocketDock
    Google Chrome

Then I installed games:
    Crysis
    UT3
    Gears of War
    Counter-Strike: Source
    Assassins Creed
    Fear 2

4. vek2001glm

vek2001glm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    im wanting to install windows 7 when i first get it also. i hope i dont have to many problems with drivers and what not. how is it for you ? have you had many negative issues...

5. SillyHoney

SillyHoney Headphone Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will get my system on Wed I think.
    Fiirst: Checking if the nameplate is engraved correctly. Somehow I fear my sale rep might **** me up with a wrong nameplate.
    Second: Start it with the hope Windows 7 is already installed. I asked my sale rep to get it preloaded into my system before shipping it but again, Im afraid theres a chance he ****ed me up.
    Third: Check if the Orion Backpack fit, gently start the new Zalman NC2000, plug the new Logitech G51 audio jack and try a new Logitech Performance MX with my system. These things has been collecting dust for quite a long time waiting for the real star to come.
    Fourth: Check for any error my system may have.

6. XRod

XRod Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    On receiving a new system I do the following in the following order:

1. Re-Install the entire Operating system and drivers or Respawn discs yourself to ensure that ALL the disks you received with your system are working. You don't want to discover your cd/dvd's are not working after your warranty runs out.

2. INSTALL A DECENT ANTIVIRUS AND FIREWALL AND ALSO UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM WITH THE LATEST SECURITY UPDATES.

3. Install as many Benchmark and Stresstest programs as possible and "Bench and Stress" your system to the MAX. I do not recommend overclocking UNLESS you know what you are doing. You should discover any hardware issues almost immediately after this. Dont forget to test your Ram. There are many programs that can do this. Use Google to search for benching and stressing programs. I'm sure the other members here can recommend a ton.

4. Install your games and every day productivity software that you use and you should be ready to go.

Cheers!

7. Encephalon9986

Encephalon9986 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Using the vista drivers for the m17x on windows 7 works just fine for my laptop. For some reason when i tried using the Windows 7 drivers dell released it started acting weird and unstable. I restored back to the vista drivers and all is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.