1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

What's the difference between Mac and PC (Hardware)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by brncao, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brncao

brncao Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've never used a mac before, but I was wondering if there are any differences between a mac and a PC hardware-wise. The price difference says a lot.

2. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Short version: The chassis.

Long version: With Macs, you're paying more for the right to use Mac OS X than the hardware itself.

3. weinter

weinter /dev/null

Reputations:
    The Logo on the cover.

4. brncao

brncao Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If so, if Apple wanted to compete with the PC market, then why are the prices so high if hardware difference is negligible? I could simply build a PC, install OS X, and call it a mac.

5. surfasb

surfasb Titles Shmm-itles

Reputations:
    One has more dollar signs on the price tag.

6. Willsclvi

Willsclvi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Don't buy an Apple is the conclusion you and I are getting at here, it seems.

7. wave

wave Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The hardware is the same. Mac hardware is much more selective. The hardware used by Apple is a subset of the PC hardware made by Intel and other Apple partners. You can find all the Apple hardware used in PCs by other manufactures.

You could say that the combination is unique and selective for compatibility with OSX and also compatibility between components. There is also selection for quality. This is not unique to Apple but comparable to what HP, Dell and others use in their business or higher end consumer lines.

The LCD, keyboard and chassis also has a pretty good reputation. The Track pad is unique. Don't think it has been copied by any PC maker. The Megasafe power adapter is also unique and a better design then any PC notebook. Also Apple care is a great service.

Once you compare the price of the Macbook Pro's to the business lines of the big PC notebook makers the difference in price becomes much less.

If you look at the notebook just from CPU, GPU, harddisk and ram then a mac is no different. If you want a notebook which is solid and has extras such as the megasafe power adapter and good service by the manufacture the macbooks are worth looking at.

8. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    I think you mean MAGsafe--but yeah, I have to admit, after repairing a number of power jacks on laptops, I wish every laptop maker would steal the idea. However, it should be noted that while the idea is great, the implementation is shoddy. At least the early adapters used very cheap wiring causing the wires to actually melt where the cord meets the end.

9. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Actual hardware - pretty much the same as any normal upper mid range "PC".

And on a side note - you can't say better built as more Macs failed on the 8400M GS than Vaios :) (quicker than Vaios...)
    This is then counterbalanced by Dells... who also has excessive failure rates...

(Design flaw in the graphics card - didn't take thermal cycles too well)

10. jackluo923

jackluo923 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A lot of laptops, even some cheap netbooks such as acer aspire one has the same touchpad that supports multitouch and every feature on the macbook touchpad, so the synaptics trackpad isn't unique, only the size of the trackpad is unique.