What's the deal with the thinkpad's looks?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by idiotpilot, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfasb

surfasb Titles Shmm-itles

Reputations:
    It isn't business and the workplace is plain and boring. It is the impression you want to give.

Lets say you go into a business meeting wearing something loud. A loud green blazer paired with light brown slacks. But eventually maybe you are trying to land a promotion. Or a client. With this ensemble, you might as well be wearing a bright red clown suit.

What does loud colors say to a client? "Hey look at me!!!!!" "I want attention!!!" There is a reason why only kids can get away with wearing such trendy and contrasting clothes.

A business man is trying to put more attention on his product and services than his product. Fashion faux pas are a distraction. And it looks amateur and unprofessional. Would you trust a $30,000 account to someone who has a bright red laptop with sparkles and anime designs all over it?

2. hceuterpe

hceuterpe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's because they are well-built RELIABLE laptops.

Price, looks, reliability. Pick 2.

3. Persnickety

Persnickety Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Haha, yeah, but how should we word it?
    "Is the Thinkpad:
    a) Marilyn Monroe – the origin of all the Dumb-blonde jokes: Bueatiful, but very little inside. Fleeting beauty.

b) Audrey Hepburn – long lasting classic, with a long history of good work?

As you can see, I'm propably not the one to make that poll

4. Hirohata

Hirohata GBF Danchou

Reputations:
    If I had seen a ThinkPad before buying my first notebook (Twinhead 12D), it would definitely have been my first choice. It looks kinda like a mini tank, but the design is so plain and simple that I cannot not like it~

Now that I own a ThinkPad myself, I can say this proudly: If you aren't looking for a gaming laptop, I'd definitely recommend getting a ThinkPad :D

5. gmoneyphatstyle

gmoneyphatstyle Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At first glance I thought this question was a joke. Especially since it is referring to Thinkpads. But in the spirit of trying to be patient with people who are curious about why Thinkpads look they way they do I will attempt to answer it.

(1) "Why do such great, reliable notebooks have the get dragged down by FLAT, PLAIN, BUSINESS-ESQUE looks"?
    Great question. Thinkpads are indeed engineered to be reliable. This is because business customers are different from the average consumer. To a consumer a savings of $200 (or more) might be enough to make them choose a cheaper computer even if it doesn't have as good a reputation for quality. For a business customer, a nonfunctioning computer might mean a sales executive can't give a presentation and cost the company millions in lost revenue. A $200(or more) premium is small price for a business to pay to ensure their workers have reliable equipment to perform mission critical tasks with. In general business customers aren't as price sensitive as the average consumer and they are able to pay for reliability in their computers.

(2) I realize looks aren't everything, especially with computers but i hate how my thinkpad's looks don't represent it's hardware. My friends come up to me and ask me why i have a notebook from the 90's.
    You are correct that a Thinkpad bought today looks alot like the Thinkpads from the 1990's. This is no accident. It is simply a reflection of what business customers want. Consider business fashion as it relates to clothing. Business suits don't change much from year to year like like fashion marketed at teenagers does. Business clients don't want to shout "Hey look at me I've got the latest and trendiest looks going". They want to message to be "I'm a serious and thoughtful person, now listen to what I have to say".

Furthermore, consider you are the IT manager responsible for buying notebook computers for 1000 employees. But each year you can only replace 250 of them. Would you rather buy computers from a brand that change drastically in looks from year to year so all the employees who don't get the new computers feel left out and under appreciated. Or would you rather buy Thinkpads that simply look conservative and change so little from year to year that to the untrained eye they all look the same.

So if Thinkpads are designed and marketed to the business customer do they have anything to offer the average consumer? Well I would say yes. They still offer what is widely considered to be the best keyboards in the market (notwithstanding the old T400 keyboards which reportedly had some flex to them), handy if you actually need to do work on your notebook. They are also built to withstand some abuse. The outside may be plastic but inside there is a frame made of lightweight magnesium (I think it's magnesium not positive though) that houses and protects the motherboard and all the other sensitive electronic parts. Thinkpads used to cost a lot more than their competition but I'd say the Thinkpads of today are much much more cost competitive than the Thinkpads of 5-10 years ago. I'd also say that Lenovo has done a good job of maintaining quality since purchasing the Thinkpad brand from IBM.

So my friend, the next time your "friends" come over and taunt you about how your Thinkpad looks like it's from the 90's. Simply smile, and remind them that your Thinkpad is an icon of industrial design and ten years from now it will look as good as it does today. Then as you push their Alienware, Dell XPS, Apple, or whatever they bought computer off the table you can remind them that Thinkpads are built tough too.;)

6. surfasb

Reputations:
    It would be nice if they made it a dark blue.

Black suits tend to be too formal for everyday wear. A dark blue is by far the most versatile.

7. Persnickety

Persnickety Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not if you decide to wear your tartan on casual friday.

Black is much more versatile than dark blue, even though dark blue is nice.

[​IMG]

8. Renee

Renee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think it's mission is well represented by the colors. I don't play games on my computer. It's for work for Gods sake so it's color's are perfect a non-distracting black. By the way my work is in computer's themselves.
    -Renee

9. surfasb

Reputations:
    I'll reserve the fancy colors for the clubs.

10. jaredy

jaredy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    People troll this so don't worry about it too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.