Whats the best router for under $100?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by MaX PL, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaX PL

MaX PL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Which brand and which model...

Linksys, D Link, Netgear?

Reason I ask is because we have been using a WRT54Gv1.1 for about 5 years now at my house, and aside from some network issues, everything has worked fine.

Yesterday the thing completely died. I tried hard resetting, tried nearly every configuration I could think of to get it to work, nothing. Perhaps I'll try putting tomato firmware on...

Well anyway, went to Bestbuy last night and picked up a D Link DIR 628. Its a wireless N router, but out of the box, its a POS. Pages load very slowly and some dont even load at all. So I'm returning it Friday and am now asking for your help in finding the best router. If someone can give me suggestions on how to make it work, I'll keep it, but I dont want to have to mess with too many settings considering Linksys routers I have owned have worked out of the box.

I'm likely going to order from Amazon after testing routers I buy at Bestbuy. Amazons prices are about 40 to 50% lower.

Okay, well please give me some suggestions.

(As a side note, there is no problem with my internet. Connecting directly to the modem, everything works just fine; Ive contacted my ISP to confirm this.)

2. MaX PL

MaX PL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    also, looking around at review on amazon and newegg, ive noticed the WRT54GL is receiving probably the best reviews.

what makes this router so special?

i'm probably gonna end up getting the WRT54GL, should i order from Newegg or Amazon after I test it through Bestbuy?

3. w500?

w500? Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Linksys is a pretty common router that many people have, myself included, and are happy with it, and it's compatible with dd-wrt. It's popular because it's a quality product that does its job.

4. adampit

adampit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would recommend the DLINK DIR-655, mine is working great and fast,not a problem for the month ive had it already.. wireless signal is excellent everywhere in my house

5. The Fire Snake

The Fire Snake Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The old WRT54G v1.1 that you have is an awesome router when opensource firmware(Tomato, DD-WRT etc) is put on it, from everything I have read. I have been researching quite a bit about it recently. Why not buy another one used on ebay? This is what I just did. Make sure to get version 4 or below of this router since higher versions have lower amounts of flash memory making it difficult(and sometimes impossible) to put open source firmware on them.

The WRT54GL is the same as the WRT54G router version 4. As I said above, after version 4 the WRT54G router's RAM and flash memory were cut in half and a non openource firmware(VxWorks) was put on the routers. This turned off a lot of people who wanted to flash the router with opensource firmware. Seeing there was a demand for this, Linksys re-released the version 4 of this router and called it the "GL".

So in short, if this router was good for you, you might want to save your money and go for a used version of the router on ebay.

6. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    is yur computer(s) wireless-n compatible?

if u are stickin with wireless-n, i would recommend the d-link dir-655 or a DD-WRT compatible linksys router (WRT-150n, WRT-350n v1).

7. N00d13s

N00d13s is too legit to quit!

Reputations:
    i've had a Dlink Dir-625 for a few months and it's been working great for me.

8. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    I'm pretty happy with my Buffalo (WHR-HP-G54) with DD-WRT. Has fairly good wireless signal, and has been solid since I bought it over a year ago. Since they are now legal to sell in the US again, they should be at fair prices again shortly...

9. MaX PL

MaX PL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeh thanks for the suggestions. ive put tomato on the router but i think its still busted. i may perhaps try to set it all up one last time, but i just dont think it'll work.

as for buying it again, to be honest i kinda want something new. i may go for the GL and not necessarily because you can flash it. i dont particuarly care for open source firmware, i just want something that is reliable and effective.

and thanks everyone for your other suggestions, before ordering the GL online, since Bestbuy doesnt sell it, i'll try out a few of the D link models you all suggested. i'm kinda hesitant to do so considering the DIR 628 is not working well, but perhaps its just a faulty product.

10. Daskid

Daskid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just got the DIR 628 yesterday and I've experienced a couple of "Page cannot load". I don't know if it just needs a firmware upgrade tho...

Have you tried upgrading the firmware? I would try and upgrade it before returning it back to Best Buy. If you decide to do it, let us know how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.