Whats the best Linux download available

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by toolmaster, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toolmaster

toolmaster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am interested in trying out the lunix operating system however, when I began looking around I was amazed to see how many downloads are available. does any one have an opinion on whats the best lunix operating system around.

2. magicstasis

magicstasis Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's linux first off, and it all depends on what you want to do. I don't have much linux experience but have used Ubuntu before, which seems to be the best recommendation for those just starting out.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

3. toolmaster

Reputations:
    sorry my spelling has never been the best.(working on it though) I am looking for a operrating system that can run without to much work but, as I get more acustomed to it I could become more involved. esentualy somthing to get my feet wet, without destroying my computer.

4. yamla

yamla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I second the recommendation for Ubuntu, but if you are coming from the Windows world, you may be happiest with the Kubuntu version. This is what I use, despite having more than twelve years of experience (and a kernel contribution), so it's certainly good enough for experienced users as well. http://kubuntu.org/

There'll be a new version of Kubuntu out later this month. What I recommend, though, is starting with Kubuntu 6.06.1 LTS. The LTS stands for "long-term support" and is a good place to start. Some computers, particularly those with cutting-edge chipsets, have problems with 6.06, though. If you can't get it to install or if it installs but then refuses to boot, check out 6.10 once that is released. This has better support for more cutting-edge hardware.

Whichever distribution you choose, MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR ESSENTIAL WINDOWS FILES before you try installing. I haven't had a Linux install hose my Windows partition unless I went out of my way to screw things up but this is always a possibility.

5. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    I curently use Ubuntu as my Linux OS, but Looking at the Photos of Kubuntu BETA, I might end up installing that over Ubuntu.

6. toolmaster

Reputations:
    I am looking at geting a Asus w3j or a dell XPS M1210, do you think that Kubuntu 6.06.1 LTS would run on them or would i have to wait for 6.10 version

7. yamla

yamla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop.

You don't need to install it over Ubuntu. You can have both on the same machine.

9. toolmaster

Reputations:
  10. springr

springr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree that Ubtunu is a good way to go. If you would like to try linux and see what it is like try a Live-cd version of Ubuntu or Knoppix. These can run off of a CD and do not install on your system unless you wish to install it. Live versions will run slow and files must be savedto floppy not the disk drive. They are a good way to get your feet wet without messing up your system. I am currently running a tri boot on my laptop of XP media center, Vista and Ubtuntu 6.06 "Drapper Drake"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.