whats the best and easiest cloning software to use ?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by chomper, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, it's called copy + paste. :)

You really don't need cloning/imaging software to back up or duplicate user data; it's really more ideal for creating a system image to transfer to another drive so that you have that to fall back on in the case of hardware failure.

2. AMATX

AMATX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you just want data, you can try 7-zip (7-Zip).

I sometimes use it with the these parms: 'a mydata.7z *' to get/archive stuff into a file such as 'mydata.7z' and it grabs everything, including subdirs/folders and shoves 'em into one packed file. In addition, it keeps the old timestamps on the files, which I prefer.

I then unpack/extract it on the destination drive: 'e mydata.7z' for individual files, 'x mydata.7z' to restore data + folders.

I do a lot of my work from DOS windows and use the .exe/DOS version you can grab from the website. Very handy and works well from .bat files, too, for repeated tasks.

Easy way to back up data, too.

Worth a look...

3. avenger7

avenger7 Newbie

Reputations:
  4. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is what I expected would happen to some that tried to do this. I mentioned before that I used Acronis home image 2013 and it will allow for resizing to match that is larger then the source drive and most others dismissed using the software because it was a paid program but as said you get what you pay for. And just having that option is well worth the 50US for it. And before I forget you can install it and created a cd to boot off that will have Acronis on it that will do the same as if the program was installed on the hard drive but a full program running from the cd itself.

5. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i am sort of a novice in this regard, so take what i say with a grain of salt. when i bought a new SSD (256GB) to replace the 500GB HDD on my laptop, i used Norton Ghost (version 11.5) to move my data from the original HDD to the new SSD, which clearly has a lower capacity. it worked perfectly, since i told it to ignore the free space and only move the data. given that my version of Norton Ghost is quite old, i'm not sure if it'll work on UEFI drivers though.

6. merlin_72032

merlin_72032 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am surprised that nobody mentions about Windows backup. It is free and comes with OS. To darxide, if you install OS under legacy BIOS, I don't think you can clone it and use it on UEFI. You have to reinstall everything again.

7. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^ i know :) i was just mentioning my own experience (Windows 7 + Legacy option in BIOS) with Norton Ghost.

8. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    marcium reflect

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.