1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Whats so bad about Vista?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by perrin_aybara, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Batchoy3

Batchoy3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Since I was assigned with a HP Pavilion desktop (1GB of RAM/ Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 1.8GHz) running on Vista Home Basic, I would really say that Vista is a resource hog.

I did some Google search on "how to speed-up Vista" and some links proved to be very useful. Common suggestions like "Turn Off Unnecessary Services", "Get rid of Aero/ turn off the "glass transparency" setting", "turn off the animations and other visual effects", "Disable the Sidebar", "Use ReadyBoost", "upgrade your RAM and video card" etc., I did some tests to check if these tips really work. To my surprise it did gave my Vista a big improvement in speed. I did not however resorted to any hardware upgrades.

I think the Vista ReadyBoost is a big help. I used my old Imation flash drive 8GB and it went smoothly.

How to Use ReadyBoost in Windows Vista - wikiHow

Hope this helps.

2. Luckyman11eleven

Luckyman11eleven Newbie

Reputations:
    Vista is so laggy.
    Without great ram/ssd,it is useless.
    I used Vista netbook once (HTC SHIFT),2 days later i sell it.:)

3. afhstingray

afhstingray Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    thats probably because the shift had an anemic 1ghz single core processor. anything other than XP would have been terrible.

4. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, part of the Vista hate came from the fact that is was running on hardware not powerful enough to run it.

Personally, i never had a problem with Vista post SP1 on my N50. Windows 7 feels snappier overall, but Vista despite being a tad slower doesn't deserve the hate now. At launch, that was another story though.

5. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've been running Vista RTM, Vista SP2, and W7 on the same laptop, all clean installs.
    The BIG differences in terms of speed were between the two Vista versions.
    Not much difference between Vista SP2 and W7.

6. MoabUtah

MoabUtah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most of the complaints were pre SP1, I used it starting with RC, it was buggy as heck until SP1 came out and tamed it down, by SP2 it was rock solid.

7. TheGreatAnonymous

TheGreatAnonymous Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's because your system probably had a lot more than 1gb of ram. It's just a matter of Vista using the resources available to it. For example, if I run Firefox on my old laptop with a Pentium M and 512mb of ram, at startup it only uses ~70mb. However, on the notebook in my sig Firefox uses around 150mb right off the bat. In short, Vista will use more resources when it's available, all the way up to a point where it's completely satisfied in order to make things as smooth as possible. And when ram is limited, it will scale back a bit. Otherwise weaker systems would get completely overwhelmed before the boot process even completes.

8. gmaster456

gmaster456 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't say that I had any problems with Vista. But I was very happy to jump onto the Windows 7 Bandwagon back during the beta, I love a lot of the aero features and use them all the time. Mainly snap and peak and some of the others. I also like how the taskbar is organized. Performance was not an issue for me in Vista.

9. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    several years and major service packs later, it's probably OK.

when it was released, there were major issues, mostly having to do with performance for me. some issues with stability.

10. Falco152

Falco152 Notebook Demon

Reputations:
    Sounds like most previous Windows releases. :D