1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Whats so bad about Vista?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by perrin_aybara, Dec 26, 2010.

1. perrin_aybara

perrin_aybara Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just as the title says, been talkin' to a few people (and some forums), and everyone is like 'Win 7 is the way to go' 'Vistas buggy' 'XP was better' and so on ...
    I used xp for nearly 6 years and when Vista was released I've never looked back since. I find it VERY user friendly.

So what do you guys and ladies think, and what are your experiences with Vista?

Also I have not tried Win 7 yet, but with Vista fulfilling my daily needs why should I?

Cheers,
    Perrin

2. Trixster101

Trixster101 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Home wise Vista is fine, it's driver support should be a lot better now.

Office wise, almost all places I know inc mne avoid Vista like the plague.

3. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Short answer: Nothing.

Well, Win7 does have some neat improvements in its new interface, and it is overall a refined version of Vista. But if you are happy with the way Vista works for you now, then there's no reason to invest the time and money to upgrade your OS.

4. perrin_aybara

perrin_aybara Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Win 7 may be spruced-up Vista, but why do people dislike it so much?
    It aint that bad is it?:confused:

My work still uses XP sp2.

5. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nope, Vista is and was perfectly fine. This is just an instance of ignorant masses blabbering nonsense, and parroting other ignorant people. The fairytale of Vista being so terrible has taken on a life of its own, no matter how little it has to do with reality. Shrug...

6. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    if people like win7, they can't dislike vista except for being cool to dislike it. win7 is based on vista, heavily, and most of the "wows of win7" are founded in vista.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The main issue stems from the problem that Vista requires at least 1GB of RAM to run in a usable capacity.
    2GB if you want optimal daily use of the OS.
    512MB is the minimum required... but it will run SLOW.

It was initially installed on machines that had 512MB of RAM, or even 1GB, and was accompanied by A LOT of bloat-ware (which was slowing things down even more).

XP SP3 runs fine on systems with 512MB RAM (without bloat)... Vista is more demanding.

It was a problem of the manufacturers who were idiotic enough to put Vista and their bloat on laptops with 512MB RAM.

One thing to keep in mind is that manufacturers can put their garbage on computers without allowing background processes or startup items at the same time, but they don't do this.

8. weinter

weinter /dev/null

Reputations:
    It is cool to dislike Vista just like it is cool to own Apple Products.
    "Coolaids" spread by sheeps.

9. flynnaz

flynnaz I am a Night Elf Mohawk!

Reputations:
    If you were a early adopter of Vista (Beta) like me, the growing pains where horrible, that's why people like me have issues with Vista. Sure now Vista is a good OS, but in it's early stages, ouch. I guess Vista to me was a growing experience that left a lot of baggage. I think this is the main reason people have a bad perception of Vista. I love Windows 7, it maybe Vista spuced up, but at lest it works out of the box :)

10. lineS of flight

lineS of flight Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    But essentially, are Vista and Win 7 similar in terms of installed size?

11. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    What's so bad about Vista? In a word everything. It was slow, annoying and buggy. It was promised as a gamers platform and failed. It looked nice but that was about it. Yeah Windows 7 is basically Vista, and if they had introduced Vista in it's current form i'd have no problems with it and most reviewers and PC sites. Vista's criticisms are well earned and deserved.

12. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Personally, I think most criticisms are quite exaggerated. My only criticism of Vista is that Windows Explorer and some other parts of the shell have a greater tendency to "lock up" and pop up with the message "___ is not responding" than in Windows 7. This tendency, however, is present to the same degree in XP.

13. Snakecharmed

Snakecharmed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Vista is slow and some of the UI refinements that Microsoft tried to make didn't fully make sense until you saw the layout in 7 and realized what Vista was trying to do. As a late adopter, that's about all I can say negatively about Vista. Vista SP1 was stable and I never had any issues with it other than a bootup that felt like three minutes before the CPU hit idle on the desktop. I have 7 now and it's far quicker and better polished. The people who had the biggest problems with Vista were those who had to deal with outdated hardware and incompatible drivers early in Vista's lifecycle.

14. Sirhcz0r

Sirhcz0r Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had Vista on a few systems. It's slow, everything you actually want to run has to be right clicked and then run as an administrator or it may not work, user account control bothers you about it being off, and you have to disable even more notifications. Wireless was less reliable as compared to XP.

It was just awful. Alpha software, retail prices.

15. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Notebook came with Vista RTM and still happily running it now(with SP1). Sure it use much more resource(mainly RAM) than XP but unused RAM is wasted RAM so I have no problem with that.

Aero Glass is nice, UAC is slightly annoying but better than hitting by virus or the XP solution of not running as Administrator(even more annoying than UAC under Windows).

16. Amnesiac

Amnesiac 404

Reputations:
    I also don't understand much of the hate. The only bluescreen I ever had with Vista was my own stupid fault.

To date, I've had worse problems with Windows 7 than Vista, but that's more Toshiba's fault than 7's.

My only big problem with it is the fact that it runs absolutely dog slow for about a minute or so after logging in.

17. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    A lot of that is due to the GDI redesign in Win7. One application never blocks another the way that they could in Vista, so the whole system feels a lot "snappier", even on the exact same hardware with the same drivers.

Vista was just rushed to release without a lot of the tweaks necessary to really polish it up.

To put it in SAT terms:
    Win Vista:Win 98 :: Win 7:Win 98SE

Wikipedia also helps: Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

18. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    they are similar in size, in distribution form, in the way they install, etc.. not to say identical except for the actual files :)

vista never was a problem even in beta. it was, when you used nvidia hardware, which i happily dismissed long before vista.

coolaids are hell :) fighing them daily, supporting facts instead.

19. chevy05

chevy05 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Vista is no longer on my own computers, but my son still has Vista 32 bit. I have a copy of Windows 7 for his computer, but says he is fine and will not let me load it. He is not really computer savvy and I have always had to fix my kid's computers as they always picked up viruses and malware somewhere with XP which required major reinstallation. Ever since I installed the service pack on my son's Vista PC, I never have to touch it except to renew the Vipre anti-virus license every year. This computer got him through 4 years of college without a meltdown. XP is great, but Vista has come a long way. On the business side, we have a lot of software companies that have software and hardware that interface with computers on farm and construction equipment. Vista will not work with their hardware and software and no plans to make it compatible. Windows Seven has issues, but they are willing to adapt to it as it is the future. Some are using XP mode as a work around in Windows 7. What really burns me up when using Vista was the awkwardness of working with MS's file manager program. Windows 7 is much more user friendly.

20. lineS of flight

lineS of flight Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I too did not have a problem with Vista. However, when I bought a new machine, I opted for Win 7 Pro and I've had an excellent time with it. But Vista does reside on another machine I have and I see no reason to replace it...yet!