1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Whats so bad about Vista?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by perrin_aybara, Dec 26, 2010.

1. perrin_aybara

perrin_aybara Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just as the title says, been talkin' to a few people (and some forums), and everyone is like 'Win 7 is the way to go' 'Vistas buggy' 'XP was better' and so on ...
    I used xp for nearly 6 years and when Vista was released I've never looked back since. I find it VERY user friendly.

So what do you guys and ladies think, and what are your experiences with Vista?

Also I have not tried Win 7 yet, but with Vista fulfilling my daily needs why should I?

Cheers,
    Perrin

2. Trixster101

Trixster101 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Home wise Vista is fine, it's driver support should be a lot better now.

Office wise, almost all places I know inc mne avoid Vista like the plague.

3. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Short answer: Nothing.

Well, Win7 does have some neat improvements in its new interface, and it is overall a refined version of Vista. But if you are happy with the way Vista works for you now, then there's no reason to invest the time and money to upgrade your OS.

4. perrin_aybara

perrin_aybara Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Win 7 may be spruced-up Vista, but why do people dislike it so much?
    It aint that bad is it?:confused:

My work still uses XP sp2.

5. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nope, Vista is and was perfectly fine. This is just an instance of ignorant masses blabbering nonsense, and parroting other ignorant people. The fairytale of Vista being so terrible has taken on a life of its own, no matter how little it has to do with reality. Shrug...

6. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    if people like win7, they can't dislike vista except for being cool to dislike it. win7 is based on vista, heavily, and most of the "wows of win7" are founded in vista.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The main issue stems from the problem that Vista requires at least 1GB of RAM to run in a usable capacity.
    2GB if you want optimal daily use of the OS.
    512MB is the minimum required... but it will run SLOW.

It was initially installed on machines that had 512MB of RAM, or even 1GB, and was accompanied by A LOT of bloat-ware (which was slowing things down even more).

XP SP3 runs fine on systems with 512MB RAM (without bloat)... Vista is more demanding.

It was a problem of the manufacturers who were idiotic enough to put Vista and their bloat on laptops with 512MB RAM.

One thing to keep in mind is that manufacturers can put their garbage on computers without allowing background processes or startup items at the same time, but they don't do this.

8. weinter

weinter /dev/null

Reputations:
    It is cool to dislike Vista just like it is cool to own Apple Products.
    "Coolaids" spread by sheeps.

9. flynnaz

flynnaz I am a Night Elf Mohawk!

Reputations:
    If you were a early adopter of Vista (Beta) like me, the growing pains where horrible, that's why people like me have issues with Vista. Sure now Vista is a good OS, but in it's early stages, ouch. I guess Vista to me was a growing experience that left a lot of baggage. I think this is the main reason people have a bad perception of Vista. I love Windows 7, it maybe Vista spuced up, but at lest it works out of the box :)

10. lineS of flight

lineS of flight Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    But essentially, are Vista and Win 7 similar in terms of installed size?