What was the first computer you owned?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ultra Male, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    We need to keep this thread alive, come on, everyone had a 1st computer!! :D

I saw one of these back in the early days of Apple, and worked on a number of early computers built up from parts, they just don't make them like this any more.

Today you can unbox a couple of boxes and screw / plug things together, nothing like trays of small parts and the smell of flux late at night, mixed with the joy of your project powering on the first time.

And, yes, people built wooden boxes, used their wood burning iron with bits, and wood carving sets to "RGB" / "bling their cases". :p

Top tips: always complete your wood burning and carving *before* varnishing your wood. And, don't run the wood router on the "case" with the electronics installed. o_O
    the-original-apple-i-computer-built-by-steve-wozniak-in-1976.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    AHMED KARAM likes this.
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:

But it had a crappy Maxtor hard drive and I used NetZero (I'll never forget that screeching sound) for dial up internet. Netscape was my browser of choice. Computer was built from parts.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    OMG, NetZero is still around, and offering Dialup and DSL, copyright 2017 on their pages!!
    http://store.netzero.net/account/showAllServices.do?type=internetAccess

You can still sign up and get that modem sound back into your life ;)
    http://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-dialup

NetZero even has 10 hours dial-up FREE each month!!

I checked for NetZero access numbers for my local area code, and it popped up with a huge list of access numbers!!
    http://www.netzero.net/start/accessNumbers.do

4. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Amazing they're still around. AOL, NetZero, and Juno would constantly mail you these discs offering you a free trail, and they were littered all over campus as well.

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  5. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

I used to collect those, wonder if I still have them.

6. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    I actually signed up for a NetZero account a few years ago for the sole purpose of getting my Macintosh LC II online, since by then I had acquired an external 56k modem for it, but had to way of connecting the Mac to an Ethernet line. It worked until my family switched from AT&T to Xfinity voice for our land-line phone, then I could never get it to connect. It's a moot point anyway, as the PSU finally died in my Mac last year...

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Those were great machines in their day, I forget the exact model, but it also had a PC card for running Windows on PC hardware, pretty heady stuff in the day :)

You might have found an old Apple router that did Appletalk to IP, or run the UNIX suite for AFP.

I also had Kinetics ATalk/IPTCP routers... wow, it's been a while - I may still have one of those Purple Kinetics boxes in storage :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.