What was the first computer you owned?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Apple IIe. My mom got it dontated when I was in first grade. My sisters and I learned on it for the first couple years. Then the school got Macintosh LCIIs. BIG BIG upgrade.

hmscott likes this.
  2. koolxxx

koolxxx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My 1st computer was the Commadore Vic 20 followed soon thereafter by the Commadore 64 back in early 1982. This was a an amazing period of MTV, music videos, synthesizers, Duran Duran, break dancing, big hairstyles and of course, arcade games.

Video games were a hot item since it was the first time you could afford to buy a system to play games in your own bedroom. As an arcade freak, I bought the Commodores to play games. But I also dabbled in code. Nothing complex, just simple stuff.

Looking back now I think if I had fanned the flames of my infant curiosity in coding, my life and career path would have been quite different today.

Today I still own the Commodores. When I rummage through my closet for annual spring cleaning, I accidentally stumble upon them. They bring me fond memories I'll never forget.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    2.0 likes this.
  3. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    286 12 MHZ
    1 MB RAM
    40 MB MFM HDD with RLL controller for 63 MB capacity
    DOS 3.3
    3.5" Floppy drive
    Soundblaster 16 kit with 2x CD-ROM

Sent from my overpriced Galaxy S6 Edge +

4. Marecki_clf

Marecki_clf Homo laptopicus

Reputations:
    386SX 33MHz (OCed to 40MHz :vbbiggrin:), 2MB RAM, 40MB HDD, Cirrus Logic CL-GD5320 "GPU" (16-bit ISA bus, 256kB DRAM!!! :vbbiggrin:), 5.25" FDD, 3.5" FDD :vbthumbsup:

hmscott likes this.
  5. skunk1

skunk1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Atari XE

with the super technological tape deck interface lol

2.0 and hmscott like this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Commodore 128 from the flea market when I was around 9 or 10 years old. Few years after I got my first real PC for my birthday, Dell Pentium 120mhz PC with 16mb edo ram and a S3 Trio64+ graphics card. Those where the days! 13 years old in high school waiting for the classes to end so I could go home and play some Quake 1 and 2.

2.0 and hmscott like this.
  7. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    My first computer was a Macintosh LC II with an Apple IIe emulator card installed in its PDS expansion slot, go figure. Aside from some graphics corruption/smearing issues and a dead PRAM battery, it still works great. I even have the original invoice from 3/27/1993 still!

CPU: 32-bit Motorola 68030 @ 16MHz
    RAM: 4MB
    HD: Originally an 80MB internal SCSI drive ; replaced with an 800MB internal SCSI Quantum Trailblazer drive when the 80MB drive died.
    VRAM: 512KB
    Monitor: Macintosh 12" RGB Display (512x384 CRT)
    Drives: Internal 3.5" High Density Floppy Drive ("SuperDrive"); external 5.25" floppy drive for the IIe emulator card. I recently added an external SCSI 100MB Iomega Zip Drive just for kicks
    Other: HP Deskwriter printer (original B&W only model), Apple Keyboard II, Apple Desktop Bus Mouse, and Microphone. I recently found an external 56k modem for it, too.

Even in 1993, this was a slow, low-end machine. The 32-bit CPU was crippled by a 16-bit data bus, which made it 70% slower than the Macintosh IIx, which had the same 16MHz 68030 CPU (but had a full 32-bit data bus). To make matters worse, the ROMs were deliberately programmed to not recognize more than 10MB of RAM, even if you had more installed. According to Apple, the first 2 SIMM slots could hold up to a 4MB SIMM, while the 3rd slot could only hold up to a 2MB SIMM. In reality, 2MB is a *very* unusual size for a SIMM (the standard sizes jump from 1MB to 4MB), so most people just put 4MB SIMMs in all 3 slots for a total of 12MB--except the ROMs would ignore the extra 2MB and still only see 10MB of RAM. At least it had Virtual Memory!!

Around Christmas time in 1998, we got our Dell Dimension XPS R400, which was our 2nd computer and our first Windows PC. It had an STB Velocity 4400 AGP 2x graphics card, which had the nVidia RIVA TNT 1 chipset and 16MB of dedicated VRAM! It even scores ~3700 3DMarks!.... in 3dMark99Max

CPU: 400MHz Intel Pentium II (Deschutes)
    RAM:384MB PC100 SDRAM (upgraded from 128MB)
    HD: 12.9GB IBM Deskstar 14GXP 7200RPM ATA/33 drive
    GPU: STB Velocity 4400 nVidia RIVA TNT with 16MB VRAM
    Sound: Turtle Beach Montego I A3D
    Networking: Netgear FA311/FA312 Ethernet card (replaced a 3Com USRobotics V.90 PCI WinModem)
    Monitor: Dell 1500FP 15" Display (1024x768 LCD)
    Drives: 3.5" floppy drive, internal Iomega 100MB Zip Drive, Sony 48x CD-ROM Drive (replaced a couple of generic 40X CD-ROM drives that died)

The XPS R400 still works perfectly, except for the fact that every once in a while, when the PC boots up, the right speaker channel comes up EXTREMELY loud and distorted. Rebooting the PC fixes it. I'm amazed the Deskstar HD still works after all these years.

My first laptop is the HP Compaq nw8440 that's in my signature, though the first laptop my family ever owned was my mom's Gateway Solo 3450 from c.2000-2001.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  8. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    486 25Mhz, 2MB ram, 125MB HD was my first, even had a color screen! I remember going back and upgrading it to 4Mb memory for about $125.

The college I went to sent us home with a PC to do our programming and assignments, it was a 386 33 Mhz(40 turbo?) and only had an amber monochrome screen. I spent a lot of time "benchmarking" trying to see if the older tech at a faster clock was better than newer tech with slower clock.

9. Rhodan

Rhodan NBR Expert of Nothing

Reputations:
    I remember fondly coming home with my Vic 20 and datasette, connecting everything to the TV and not letting go of it till the next morning...

For those of you who may not know, this system ran on a 6502 1 Mhz CPU with 3.5KB of usable ram. I learned Basic on this and later got an acoustic modem so I could connect to CompuServe.

The year after I got the Commodore 64 and a promqueen eprom burner for it. Crazy times!

10. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    I remember it was a Cyrix processor, but beyond that I don't recall.

I do know that the OG Roller Coaster Tycoon brought the thing to it's knees, and that I used it and it's USRobotics 56K modem to go to apple.com and buy my first iBook.

I do remember taking that iBook out of the box and thinking "what kind of sorcery is this?!?!". I literally took it out of the box and opened the lid to be greeted with the OS X 10.1 intro video. SO. DAMN. CLASSY.... at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.