What was the first computer you owned?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Spartan, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    did you overclock it? :D I'm sure a +5 MHz would have made a big difference back then :p

2. Spartan

Reputations:
    used to love those x33 MHz numbers in the CPU speed. Every MHz counted back then :D

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My first actual PC was a Lucky Goldstar 386/40 desktop a client gave me.

It was all downhill after that :)

There were several others in rapid succession as I purchased motherboards, CPU's, OC'd them, tuned them, and finally settled on a long term Intel MB + Pentium II dual CPU tower, then a Abit VP6 dual PIII OC'd with Delta 8k fans on Thermalright copper heatsinks.

It's been a fun ride. :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    bloodhawk and Spartan like this.
  4. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Hell yeah, i remember my next system had a Pentium 3 600Mhz , which i some how managed to overclock by 99Mhz. Good ol days. Trying to unlock the BIOS password, because dad would lock up the system.

hmscott and Spartan like this.
  5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Well, I had that PC for five years, up until the new replacement in October of 2005, and I tell you hwhat, all of the "legendary" stuff TNT2 had, evaporated during those years.

Spartan likes this.
  6. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Gateway 2000 P5-100 Tower was my first. Had a whopping Pentium I 100MHz processor, 16MB RAM, 1GB Western Digital Hard Drive, SoundBlaster 16 and S3 Trio graphics along with a very pretty 15" Vivitron CRT monitor and CH Flightstick controller.

Came bundled with Encarta and Windows 95 too which was mesmerizing back then. I still remember the Cow adverts they used to do, costed us around £1800 back in the day and kept going for 7 years until we retired it in 2003. Good times.

Spartan, Georgel and hmscott like this.
  7. Spartan

Reputations:
    The S3 Trio, I think that was my VGA on my Cyrix 166 MHz system! :D poor thing all pixelated graphics in 3D Games :D

hmscott likes this.
  8. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Commodore 64 with a tape drive ( Datasette) ...creating a single animated sprite manually in BASIC took all summer long.

Before that we had a black and white Pong style gaming system. :D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    2.0, HTWingNut, hmscott and 1 other person like this.
  9. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My first was a trash picked Apple IIGS that I found on the curb when I lived in Kansas. I couldn't do much outside of play a few games since I didn't have a printer or the 5.25" floppy drive that my copy of Appleworks required.

The first computer that I had that I could do more than play old games on was a Gateway 2000 E-1000 that my grandfather bought for me back in February 2004. It came with a 166MHz Pentium MMX, 64MB EDO RAM (compatible with PC-66 and PC-100), a 2GB Western Digital hard drive, 12x CD-ROM, and some onboard video solution with 2MB VRAM. I later upgraded this computer with a 233MHz Pentium MMX, 20GB Maxtor hard drive, and a Plextor CD burner.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The first computer I owned was a Dell Inspiron running XP Media Center Edition that I received for my 10th birthday. Before that I used a desktop in the family room. I also at one point had an IBM ThinkPad T60.

The oldest computer I ever used was my dad's Windows 3.1 machine that he had in his office--it was old at the time of course, but I used to play games on it when he'd bring me to work with him.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.