What users want in the M18x R2

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Anentropik, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anentropik

Anentropik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I add the 4 pin jack setup

2. stu.artd

stu.artd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep, this and a 120Hz 3d screen. The screen is the reason I've also been considering a 17x r3.

3. SOS4DELL

SOS4DELL A Notebook Philosopher

Reputations:
    I know that this has been included (in some way) but I would like to reaffirm some crucial 'details'...

An RGB-LED or an IPS-RGB-LED display panel with better (higher) DPI...

The so called 'HD' is a placebo adopted for the motion picture industry... Now, honestly: How many hours a day we look at movies (with the HD form factor) on the laptop or DTR and how many hours we work on those machines?

So, please, Dellienware: pay more attention to the costumers and bring back the useful 1920x1280 (at least) or even a higher one (2560x1440 in a 18.4").. This is REAL HD (or WUXGA?).

At least, give the consumer the option to decide and configure!!! Standards maybe good (maybe) for HP, Lenovo, and alike... not for state-of-the-art boutique configurable machines like the Alienware's.

BTW: in WUXGA we can look at any motion picture in better than HD without any problems... but it become more dificult to work in the 'castrated' HD at just 1900x1080 in a 18.4" form factor...

4. Alienwhere

Alienwhere Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's no way we'd get an IPS panel in a notebook, but if we did it sure would cost a lot. Those who need IPS usually have an external IPS monitor.

They won't be getting an oddball resolution like 1920 x 1280 either. 2560 x 1440 on such a tiny screen would be way, way too much and make text unreadable and pictures smaller than postage stamps. An 18" screen with a 1920 x 1200 resolution might be something, but they'd probably just go back to 17" screens if the 16:10 format ever came back.

Dell is making a 16:10 1920 x 1200 external IPS monitor now in the U2412. People can vote with their wallets, and if this becomes a good seller, maybe they will get the message and more WUXGA monitors and screens will be made.

I do like the 16:9 18.4" though. It's the same 9 inch height as a 17" WUXGA, but the extra width makes films and shows that much bigger onscreen. I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer it to the 17", and I was hardcore against the loss of 16:10 screens on everything when it was happening. I do think 16:9 sucks for smaller screens though, especially at very low resolutions where it's hard to see everything already. High resolutions aren't much better for smaller screens either.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I see the BluRay writable is already on the list. It's just silly that this is not an option on the M18x. I've got the Panasonic BD-RE UJ235A from my M17x R2 in the M18x and it works fine... simple bolt-in upgrade. Unless this drive is no longer available, they should provide it as an option now, and on the M18x R2.

6. Anentropik

Reputations:
    I add Fingerprint Reader.

I have one on my current laptop and I can not do without it now !

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    @Alienware,

There are couple of notebooks with a 30-bit IPS RGB LED screen. :)
    BTW, I don't want to break the NDA but we are expecting similar panel to arrive for testing in M18x end Sept. - early Oct.

8. Anentropik

Reputations:
    Whooo Aikimox, that's an amazing news ! (little question : is this possible futur screen @ 120Hz and matte ?)

9. Alienwhere

Alienwhere Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any current notebooks? I thought it was just the old workstations with 16:10 screens that had them.

It'd be incredible if an IPS panel made it into a gaming notebook. I'm pretty sure they'd go for a less expensive RGB LED with a faster response time before an IPS, even if the gamut and color accuracy was better.

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Possible from Dell? - Dunno. I'm not even researching the 120hz option since the IPS RGBLED is the top priority now.

The HP8760w, 8560w and Dell Precision M4600 are the three current gen workstations with that panel.

The response time is no longer a huge problem for IPS panels. Still, I'd rather have 1billion colors and perfect viewing angles ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.