What to look for in a car deck?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by foosa123, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foosa123

foosa123 adsfjldsajflkajsdfa

Reputations:
    Hi there,
    So I'm currently shopping for a new car deck for my 04 civic coupe to replace my stock one. As I'm looking at ones at places like Best Buy and Future Shop (I'm in Canada), I can't really seem to tell the differences between all of them; to me they are all pretty much the same. So why are some $300, while some are $100? What should I look for when I'm shopping for car decks?

2. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    Some have a different amperage (or wattage, can't remember) that determines how much output it has. Also, other features such as an ipod connection, removable faceplate, and other visual features combined with the difference of power makes them higher or cheaper.

3. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you haven't already, find a Civic community locally or within Canada and lurk around, there are plenty of good reads out there, especially with a car like the Civic. Make an account and ask, I'm sure they'd be more then willing to help you out!

And as Colton mention, depends what you want, Aux In, GPS, Touch Screen, DVD playability, etc.

4. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    The main numbers to look for in stereo equipment:

Output (watts per speaker and number of speakers). This will determine maximum volume and how many speakers you can connect to the unit.

Frequency Response. This will be a range like 20Hz-2KHz that indicates the range of tones that the equipment can produce. The wider the range, the better.

Signal to Noise Ratio [SNR]. This is the relationship between the audio signal and the "noise" created by the amplifier. It is listed in Decibels (Dbl), and again higher is better.

The first two measurements are important not just for the stereo, but also for the speakers. If the amplifier puts out more power than the speakers are rated for, you will blow your speakers. If the speakers have a shorter frequency response than the amplifier, than you will not hear the tones outside of what the speakers can reproduce.

5. foosa123

Reputations:
    Yes I have posted the same thread on multiple civic forums :D

As for what I'm looking for, mostly just an Aux port haha

And KimoT: Would you then just recommend replacing the WHOLE stereo system? Because I'm not sure about the specs of my stock speakers, and I wouldn't want to blow them.

6. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    Usually I replace the speakers with the stereo. You can check your owners' manual and the Civic forums to get specs for your speakers and stock headunit. You only really need to replace them if the output is higher than the original unit, but usually you can get better speakers than stock to improve the sound as well.

7. adampit

adampit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not true.. distortion from the amp causes speakers to blow...many serious car audio guys put more than the rated power to the speaker in order to make sure gain can stay low. Also, when you get into the mid and high range speakers, the power rating is conservative, and sometimes the speaker doesnt come alive until you give it more than its rated power (Sometimes 100+ more watts).

As for a deck, stick to Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood and Eclipse.

If you want the best, go with Eclipse.

Browse this forum for more info http://www.caraudio.com/forum/

8. foosa123

Reputations:
    thanks for the link, i'll look into that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.