What to lease: Civic Si or 2010 Genesis Coupe?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Jakamo5, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm amazed at how good the Kia Forte sedan looks! Of course, the Koup has an even sportier, aggressive design. The 2.0T should give the Koup enough 'go' to match the 'show'. There's nothing worse that poseur coupes- they look fast and sporty, but can't keep up with an average Corolla.

As much as I like the Forte, I'm still not sure I could buy a KIA. Yes, it's brand snobbery and I need to get over it...but there are many more car buyers out there who feel the same way!

Last year, we were in the market for a decent looking mid-size sedan with good performance, at least average fuel economy and with a moonroof, high-end stereo, etc. I was checking out Nissans and the KIA dealership was next door, so I wandered over there just to see what they had. I found a new 2008 Kia Optima EX with standard leather seats & power everything PLUS the Sport Appearance Package (larger wheels/tires, trim pieces) and the heated power seats, Infinity stereo system and moonroof! It had a sticker of $23k, but with rebates and discounts I could have had it for under $17k....100k warranty and all!

But I couldn't get over the 'KIA' name and the negative connotations in my mind (cheap, unreliable, driven by poor people...). I contemplated the KIA for an entire evening, comparing it to the several other cars I test drove earlier that day. I woke up the next morning and went back to the Honda dealership where I had driven a Certified Pre-Owned 2007 Honda Accord LX V6 sedan with 32k miles on it. I bought it for $17,200 (a few hundred more than the new KIA).

We love the Honda and I know it will last for many years and several hundred thousand miles with proper maintenance. But sometimes I feel like some sort of elitist snob, choosing the slightly used Honda over the new KIA (which had heated leather seats, a much better Infinity stereo system and several other features absent on the Accord)! I just couldn't stand driving around with that KIA badge glaring at me from the center of the steering wheel! :eek:

The Forte has the looks, features and pricing to be a major contender among compact sedans. The amount of details, curves and character lines wouldn't be out of place on a car costing twice as much! The Civic looks like a Chevy Cobalt in comparison...or as one automotive journalist said, "the design inspiration for the Civic was obviously a suppository". :eek: :D

2. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well right now it is because of Hyundai that KIA is making a FULL make over.

The Forte Does looks REALLY good though. I think they made a wise choice by giving the higher end model(SX trim) 170HP i think that makes in interesting in its segment and that is the same power as the Lancer GTS so thats cool. Also the interior quality is pretty sweet here is what it looks like with navi most people havent even seen it yet(the navi interior shot) :)

[​IMG]

You gotta admit thats pretty sweet for a lower end car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.