What to lease: Civic Si or 2010 Genesis Coupe?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Jakamo5, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's hard to believe that even with the 310+hp 5.7L V8, they managed 26mpg highway. If I remember correctly, in 6th gear doing 80mph, the engine was only turning about 1700rpm or so? Between the gearing and the "skip-shift" feature (forced a shift from 1st to 4th unless the throttle was open to a certain point), the gas mileage was better than you'd expect.

But I just thought we were talking about trucks when I mentioned the 26mpg Tacoma I-4. Most other pickups fall short of that.

2. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Formerly ClutchX2

Reputations:
    I drove one once, only thing i remember is the leg room sucked. Read somewhere the uh GTO in 6th idled at like 60-65. Thats how i drove my econobox's accelerated to the speed i wanted and then threw it in 5th got 30 mpg average up to 34 highway.

Yeah they typically dont do good, jeep (not a truck) does HORRID, but i was tripping on I4 vs V8 a little, truck was only mentioned a couple of times in the whole debate, though towing was used alot and Ive seen a cavalier towing a boat so lol.

3. allfiredup

Reputations:
    My mom had a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2WD, 4.0L I-6 and it averaged 16mpg overall (according to the trip computer). If it had been 4WD and/or V8, I can't imagine how bad it would have been.

Then again, I've got a 2006 Mazda3, 5-speed manual, 2.3L I-4 that only gets 26mpg overall. It could use a 6th gear. At 80mph, the engine is turning at 4000rpm.

4. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    EVeryone is different im glad you looked at it this way.

I have a navi in my car and now i can never see myself buying a car without a navi UNLESS the Navi is inferior to what they have today. The in-dash units from factory now are SO good. I've also noticed that they have dramatically reduced the price of factory navi systems you also normally get alot of things with the navi option now like premium speakers, built in bluetooth , Built in HDD, live traffic, etc.

Here is a great overview of the hyundai navi system and it is pretty solid.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/02/hyundai-nav.html

5. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Well, the navigation system in a car like the Infiniti M35 and other premium brand vehicles are usually far better than what you'll find in the average $20k compact. Does yours have the cool rear view camera also?

What I don't like is when a car doesn't already have a display built-in (for example, even an M35 without Nav has the display built into the dash). But I hate it when they have to rearrange HVAC/audio controls and often integrate them (partially) into the touch screen of the Nav system. I've seen quite a few that were a pain to use.

You're right about the factory NAV systems becoming more affordable. Back in 2006, when I bought my Mazda3, the navigation system was a $2000 option! I drove a 2010 Mazda3 last week and it had a "Technology Package" that added $1195 to the sticker. For $1195, it included the built-in compact navigation, advanced keyless system/push-button start, SIRIUS satellite radio w/ 6mos subscription and a perimeter alarm. Although the push-button start doesn't make a lot of sense to me, the SIRIUS, nav and alarm are a great deal at $1195!

Honda still charges $2000 for it in the Civic and $2200 in the Accord! I'd have a very difficult time buying a Civic with nav that increases the price by more than 10%!

6. Jakamo5

Jakamo5 Tetra Vaal

Reputations:
  7. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @ allfiredup: A little off topic, but you seem to be a Mazda man/fan. What do you think of a left-over 2008 Mazda Tribute 2wd-4 cylinder, left-over from last year (0 miles), for $16,000?

8. Ferretwulf

Ferretwulf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That would be a more personal decision. Will you 'use' the features of the 'Track' version as compared to the Premium? For myself, I'd go that route, but I like to 'play' a bit and the features (paticularly the LSD) would be beneficial to me. Other than that, its mostly appearance bits (bigger wheels, HIDs, pedals, etc.)

9. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes, mine does have the cool rear view with the projected path that you are going to turn in :) That was part of the "Tech" package which was also a great deal for the money.

Wow, that Mazda Navi option is a great deal. Audi's Navi system is also very well priced :)

Jakamo so you are definitely going with the 6 speed then? Ok cool, you are definitely going to have alot of fun with the Track.

10. allfiredup

Reputations:
    The Mazda Tribute is a twin of the Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner. It's built in the same Missouri plant with them. The only real differences are different front and rear-end styling, somewhat different interior trim and the Tribute has a firmer suspension which gives it slightly better handling.

All three vehicles got an extensive "refresh" for 2008- all new sheetmetal, redesigned interiors and added features. They kept the same 2.3L I-4 (Mazda calls it the MZR 2.3L, Ford calls it the Duratec 23) and the 3.0L V6 (Duratec 30).

A used 2008 Tribute i Sport, 2.3L, 2WD has a retail value of just over $16,000 according to Edmunds. So a brand new one with no miles should be worth at least that much.

The great thing about Mazda vehicles that share powertrains with Fords- they can be serviced and repaired at any Ford dealership, including warranty work. There are a lot more Ford dealerships than Mazda, so it's a nice perk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.