What to do with your old laptops?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by techtonic, Nov 20, 2019.

1. techtonic

techtonic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a Clevo P650SE which as seen better days and is getting replaced. It still works and the 970M can still game though the 8 GB RAM getting small these days. The i7-4720HQ is still decent as is the 1 TB SSD.

Some choices of what to do with it are selling it but need to fix the keyboard (has issues registering presses), donating it, using it as a tinker machine, or storing it in the closet to collect dust. Possible to use it as a media server, but I don't want to manage another device. Could also strip it for parts but it's too old to be usable in anything new.

What do you do with your old laptops that still work?

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    They go into the closet for later use. Sometimes they are given out to family. Most of the time they're used for secondary purposes (like being a test server to check changes before pushing to the real home server, etc).

3. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Sell on eBay

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Use them.
    Although I only have one old laptop and a tablet.
    I take ol' lappy when I visit my parents. Despite it's age (will turn 10 next month since I bought it), it's still good to do some work, play older games, or watch movies.
    Tablet I mostly use as and EFB when playing fligh sims.

5. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Most of them either get sold or gifted to family members, provided they don't show a lot of wear. The ones that don't get eighty-sixed usually end up either in a computer bag that ends up in a closet or corner, or they end up on a shelf in my computer room.

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Most of the time I just find another purpose unless I have too many machines in which case I start attempting the sale

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you're going to sell it, best option would be to try to sell it here in the NBR Marketplace first. Or, for slightly less attractive options, sell it on Craigslist or FacePoot Marketplace. If you sell it on eBay you'll end up getting screwed on totally ludicrous fees. You'll easily lose 15-20% in fees by the time they take their cut and PayPal takes their cut. Plus, eBay charges fees based on the total sales price that includes shipping costs, which is even more asinine.

** IMPORTANT: You MUST use the form wizard to post here or your thread WILL BE DELETED! **

katalin_2003 and evenflow153 like this.
  8. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally i would keep it as a backup incase you run into issues with the new laptop but if you're going to sell it make sure it doesnt have physical damage otherwise noone will buy it. You can also gift it to a family member or a friend.

9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For obsolete computers, I usually recycle them. Best Buy does it for free. But for a machine like yours, which is plenty modern, there's life left. If you need a backup PC, it'd be fine as others have noted. I had a second PC for a while that I hooked up to my TV for couch surfing, streaming and so on. Just get a simple wireless keyboard/mouse set (Logitech sells some keyboards with built-in touchpads). No need to fix the laptop's keyboard in that scenario.
    Giving it to a family member is another good idea, assuming it's reliable, but you'd probably need to fix that keyboard.

RAM has gotten pretty cheap, so you could probably put 16GB in there for not much. Then you'd have a very capable PC.

Charles

Fishon and katalin_2003 like this.
  10. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Keep it as a backup if you can.

That's what I've done with my grandpa's older Lenovo laptop. Not as high spec'd as your Clevo. But it runs Windows 7 nicely and is great for having at my desk for my hw that requires special software + hardware hookups like Arduino.

In your case, you might be able to turn it into an HTPC with gaming capabilities.

Fishon likes this.