1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

What software do you use to watch .vob files

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Sharklover, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharklover

Sharklover Notebook Geek

I am having trouble playing .vob files on my new SZ450. The InterVideo WInDVD will not allow you to play anything but a DVD. I wonder is this is a vista issue. I also cannot load Nero 7 because it wants to install directx9 and the computer has 10.
    Any help to what software I should be using is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. jpagel

jpagel Notebook Evangelist

Have you tried opening it with wmp? Power DVD should also play .VOB's - I know you need the codec for it to work. ( I am unsure though if Vista has the codecs w/ wmp11 built in already )

3. RedSensiStar

RedSensiStar Notebook Deity

use divx for the codexs and then winDVD for the playback

4. DTX

DTX Notebook Evangelist

PowerDVD. NOTHING. ELSE. BEATS. IT.

5. crappyGPU

crappyGPU Notebook Consultant

media player classic with codec packs. PowerDVD CAN'T. BEAT. IT

6. Gautam

Gautam election 2008 NBR Reviewer

Why? Back in my Windows days, I used WinDVD to play separate .vob files without any problem. You need to open non-DVD based VOB files as a file, or directory for it to work. Sometimes you crash WinDVD if you just click the file from an explorer window.

7. Sharklover

Sharklover Notebook Geek

Thanks WMP does not play the vob files. Windvd will not allow you look for files to open. Powerdvd seems pretty expensive. Are there any other solutions?

8. Gautam

When you are at the open file dialog box, type *.* and hit enter in order to view all files. Then open your .VOB file. What version are you using, BTW?

9. Sharklover

Sharklover Notebook Geek

It does not allow me to look for files. It is windvd for vaio. I think this may be a vista issue.

10. Gautam

I would get WinDVD. It's a really great Windows app...and supports (well-programmed) hardware GPU acceleration. I can't say much for Vista Media Center, since its a bloated and sluggish app. You certainly won't be able to do much with that.

I don't know what a Vaio version of WinDVD, but I cannot imagine it not having an open file dialog box.

11. Bomfunk

Bomfunk Notebook Consultant

There's a trick which works on my WinDVD. Rename the folder in which your *.vob files are to VIDEO_TS then load up WinDVD. It should playback the movie, if not point it to the folder.

12. NsxMugen

NsxMugen Notebook Enthusiast

I think you should find a video converter that would convert Vob to AVI or something else that you can play on whichever application you like to play the video on.

13. Sharklover

Sharklover Notebook Geek

Thanks I finally got it to work with both Nero 7 using Nero Showtime and PowerDVD. I acually prefer Nero. Windvd will not allow you to change from the DvD drive on the Sz450.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.