What security software do I need on my computer?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by sparty13, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/securit...signed-to-be-bottom-of-the-antivirus-rankings

It has been like this since 2 years man :) They even advised people to use a 3rd party AV. MSE = no AV. Might as well run with nothing if one is going to use MSE, every system that I fix because of an infection had MSE on it. Yet people tell you I've been using MSE for years and never had a virus. Not like a virus is going to popup and say "hey BTW your system is infected" they wouldn't even know they had a virus logging everything they do / sending it to someone silently.

2. MrDJ

MrDJ Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    exactly. we see it every time theres a new post of which to get. there are still loads using it. i tried it once and it wasnt on my computer for more than a day.

3. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    yes, and what's their excuse? it's free, has no popups or ads to upgrade, and it comes through Windows Updates or in the OS if it's Win 8. The lamest excuse I've ever heard for not properly protecting one's computer when there are many good free and paid AVs

4. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Put this way the user is 50% of the cause of the infections. If you permit it to click on sites with virus or downloaded virus infected program then no amount of A/V will protect you. You gave it Admin permission once you open and run it. So the A/V is 50% protection and the failure is the user failing 50% of the time to fix their "habit" to click on and download anything without thinking what am I doing. So for however good a A/V is - nothing it can do once the user clicks install and downloads a virus package. Savvy users regardless of what A/V they use will stop the virus sooner then your average John/Jane Doe can do but then it will be already to late.

5. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :eek: Thanks for the link! I should get MSE off of my Surface ASAP.

Spartan likes this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Indeed bro. I am a member of Wilders Security forums which only focuses on security and AV discussions. If someone said they're running MSE they'd laugh at him (no offense to you) unless one wants to add many extra protection layers to complement it like MBAM + a decent firewall with HIPS but that's all too much if you ask me, just get a proper AV and be done with it ;)

Fluffyfurball likes this.
  7. Fluffyfurball

Reputations:
    Thanks, Ferris. Based on your link I'm giving Kaspersky's Pure 3 a try to see how it goes. Thus far it seems to have a very small footprint, which is great.

Spartan likes this.
  8. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    When you install it, don't judge its heaviness immediately

1) Install it

2) Run the first update

3) Reboot

4) Run a full system scan

5) leave your system idle for 30 minutes for it to complete its idle root scan

now judge it

PS: I recommend Kaspersky Internet Security over Pure as it always has a newer scanning engine and doesn't have any bloatware unless you have any specific needs of the Kaspersky Pure features.

9. Fluffyfurball

Reputations:
    Kewl. Thanks for the instructions: I'll start the scan and see how things go.

10. valeron

valeron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As for me I tried almost all AV programs and want to add that some of them make the system slow. for example, Kaspersky. So now I use Avast and my laptop is ok

Spartan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.