What rugged toughbooks have parallel (db25 printer) ports?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Michael AU, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Michael AU

Michael AU Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't know MX was still going.
    Windows over writing the bootloader does occasionally happen but Super GRUB Disc is easy to use and saves the day. I have a 256 GB flash drive with a variety of tools installed on it from PenDriveLinux in my IT toolbox.

SHEEPMAN! likes this.
  2. Michael AU

Reputations:
    I just tried to install Cloudready by Neverware on one of the CF29s and it wouldn't install, I'll try it on the other one later today. It may be my usb drive (getting a bit old) but I doubt it. Up until today I have never had a failure installing Cloudready on any machines I have tried to put it on but I do know there are 32 bit machines that have difficulty with it.

In other news I have downloaded well of 1GB of updates for the Windows 7 install that come with the 2nd machine. That broke a display driver so I had to uninstall display and video hardware in Device manager and reboot the machine. Once the reboot finished Windows was fine and it installed a driver. I then went and downloaded the native Panasonic drivers using Panasonic's download manager and have been installing them as I go along.

I must say I really like the backlit keyboard in one of the machines, the other machine has the ordinary keyboard.

I'm going to keep my old CF-29 for parts so that if any goes on either of these 2 I have spare parts to fix them.

I shall do a fresh install of Linux later today so that I have 1 caddy that I can swap between the machines. Once that is done I'll be 99% setup. 1 machine for my tuning, and the other for my workshop tools.

3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    get wsusoffline to download and save those windoze updates.
    Install them all at once. I have them saved on to a USB stick.

4. Michael AU

Reputations:
    Good idea Shawn.

5. Michael AU

Reputations:
    Been nearly a month since I've posted an update.

The cf-29s are going gangbusters, I really like the backlit keyboard compared to the regular keyboard. My net access has been on and off so I haven't been able to download and install a couple of OSes yet but am working on that now before the rain starts and causes disruption again. Getting Debian Buster (current Testing) without non-free firmware because it simply will not install with non-free firmware available. I'll install the network firmware later. Will give Cloudready another attempt as well.

Apart from that I just need to put my installs of FreeDOS, Windows 7, Windows 10 onto the SSD and I'm done. Screenshots will be posted as soon as everything is done.

A plug for Sheepman (Jeff), he has been a gentleman (and also a good conversationalist) and has gone over and above my expectations in our dealings.

toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  6. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Thanks mate.

7. Michael AU

Reputations:
    Some pics after installing Linux on one of the CF-29s. This setup is Cobber testing which is built off Debian Testing (currently Buster) and "adjusted" for Oceania (I am more than happy to build an International version). DE is MATE (pronounced mah-tay but I pronounce it M8), top and bottom panel with bottom panel set to autohide, Brisk menu instead of traditional menu, Moblin icons (with some names modified by me so they would work on modern systems), full time and date on clock, modified Clearlooks-Phenix theme (modified version called Cobberlooks)

ToDo: install Clearlooks Red Berries, further modifiy Cobberlooks to use natural colours like aqua and also pastels.
    EDIT: Forgot to add that the Moblin icons need to be changed from png to svg so that are all equal in size and scale better when changing things like panel sizes. Moblin was initially designed for mobile phones not for laptops or computers so icon size and scaling didn't matter much but it does now.

Enjoy!

Cobber-1.png Cobber-2.png Cobber-3.png Cobber-4.png

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  8. Michael AU

Reputations:
    I just found out why my old cf-29 gave up the ghost. I swapped my SSD into one of the new cf-29s (the one with the backlit keyboard) and it no longer works either. I have swapped an IDE drive back in to check but nothing. There must be something wrong with the SSD, or the IDE to SSD convertor cable. Hoping there is a fuse or something inside the cf-29 that may have blown and can be replaced easily.

9. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Could be the converter board itself is bad and shorted out. That blows the fuses.
    Fuses are probably about 4mm long or LESS.
    I would replace the cable and SATA converter board.
    Maybe test everything with a usb to IDE adapter and USB hub.
    Easier to replace the hub or usb to IDE adapter than a motherboard.

Michael AU likes this.
  10. Michael AU

Reputations:
    Just tested the SSD in another machine that doesn't require the adaptor and it is working,

I have to go out and get some feed for my horses, will be back later to keep working on this.