What quiet, powerful laptop to buy?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Kdog23, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kdog23

Kdog23 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all

So I am replacing my ageing laptop which I use for audio recording and mixing, I've had it 7 years!

Screen size, weight, battery life and a lot of other things I am flexible on (as will remain at home mostly), but I need the below criteria hit. So what model would people recommend? Am on a budget, so an older second-hand model is fine!

- fairly powerful processor: my old one had an i7-640m

- something quiet: despite the power, fan should be quiet and come on minimally (as I record audio in the same room!)

- 2.5" hard drive space for SSD: not mSATA or m.2, since I want to bring over the 1TB SSD drive I already have in the old laptop

- lots of USB ports: 4 or even 5! Failing this, something with a reliable docking station solution to get lots of USB ports

Thanks!

2. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Choose quiet or choose powerful. You get one or the other. Fanless= S-L-O-W. Compromise the way you want.

3. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Build a desktop using a cooler like this and you'll have a system that is both quieter and more powerful than any laptop.

4. Kdog23

Kdog23 Newbie

Reputations:
    The thing is guys it needs to be a laptop for portability. It doesn't have to be fanless, just one that rarely uses the fan, and is quiet even with fan on.

Any recommendations on models to look at? I'm on a budget, so looking at second hand - maybe a couple of years' old model!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.