What on earth are they thinking?!

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Ethrem, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Okay. I've used Linux since 1997... I don't get the direction that Gnome is going... I installed the latest Ubuntu... Still the crappy Unity interface that makes it next to impossible to get anything done. Then I grabbed the OpenSUSE Tumbleweed network install... Chose Gnome... Basically the same clunky mess that pushed me from Ubuntu to Mint. Its not innovation, its annoying. People think the Windows 10 start menu is a hassle? No... Not at all.

KDE I used to like but its just a bloated mess now.

I guess I'll just stick to Mint and Cinnamon. Its a sorry state of affairs the direction linux has gone. Back in the 90s the push was for XFree86 to look and act like Windows 9x and now its like some hideous hybrid of OS X and Windows 10.

I don't get how Ubuntu still keeps its popularity. I never could get used to Unity. I don't see how anyone could. Its just one ugly disaster.

I am going to give KDE a try on Tumbleweed but I think I'll be grabbing Mint 17.3 Cinnamon very shortly.

Jarhead, Spartan and hmscott like this.
  2. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well I grabbed KDE Plasma on OpenSUSE and its *MUCH* better than it used to be. Absolutely gorgeous interface, classic KDE start menu. I don't know where Gnome went wrong but Plasma looks very promising.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Tumbleweed moves to Plasma 5.3 and a new release of KDE Applications
    May 16th, 2015 by Jos Poortvliet
    https://news.opensuse.org/2015/05/1...ma-5-3-and-a-new-release-of-kde-applications/

"At the time of writing this, the openQA servers were busily running tests and, by the time we publish this article, they should be done. What was being tested? A massive amount of changes, bringing not only the latest Plasma 5.3 and Applications 15.04.1 to Tumbleweed, but also marking the switch to Plasma 5 as the default desktop!"

4. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For me, gnome 2 was probably the high point in looks/usability (back in the ubuntu 8x era). I like KDE but I get lost with its many configuration options. Unity doesn't bother me, I could take it or leave it. I'm not a fan of docks. For now my usual setup is mint cinnamon.

Kent T, bennni and hmscott like this.
  5. i_pk_pjers_i

i_pk_pjers_i Even the ppl who never frown eventually break down

Reputations:
    I don't like Ubuntu's Unity, but I do love me some Xubuntu. I run it on my laptop (dual boot with Windows 10), desktop (dual boot with Windows 10), and linux server.

Jarhead and hmscott like this.
  6. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gnome's goal is a UI consisting of a beautiful, clean, elegant button that does nothing when you click it.

7. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's basically what they've done. It's no wonder Linux isn't more widespread, I don't see how anyone could put up with that UI. Plasma is actually kind of nice though. I haven't given KDE a shot in a long time and it's actually pretty well done, at least on OpenSUSE.

i_pk_pjers_i and hmscott like this.
  8. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you like KDE, try out PCLinuxOS KDE.

hmscott likes this.
  9. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Yeah, Gnome needs a **** ton of work to make it usable. The build I'm using i grabbed it from our servers at work, and it flies like anything.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Ethrem and hmscott like this.
  10. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I used to use PCLOS years ago but really I prefer Mint. Codecs out of the box, great package maintenance, very stable, and you don't have to pay to get updates quickly unlike what PCLOS did back in the day. I swore to never use PCLOS again after paying just to get dumped on a server that was pushing less than a megabit of bandwidth...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.