what notebook warranty should i buy?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by arctic circle decimal, Jun 19, 2017.

1. arctic circle decimal

arctic circle decimal Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an HP laptop...and I'm still under 30 days so I want to get an extended warranty that covers accidental damage. At first I was all like ''I'm going w/ square trade...'' but now i'm like: "oh I had no idea that HP had its own extended warranty that also covers accidents, and its about the same exact price...and apparently if I dont ever use it I get that money back after 3 years..."

my gut instinct is telling me to go w/ HP and thats my plan...I guess its kind of confusing w/ all these insurance companies. I mean it would make more sense to go w/ an HP because they would presumably have the right parts if something went awry. Ya I think logic will win in this decision. I'm going HP warranty unless someone has some convincing testimonial that tells me otherwise or discredits the whole institution of extended warranties for laptops. thanks

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Which model is it that you have bought?

3. arctic circle decimal

Reputations:
    its not an expensive model but i still wanna get it covered...HP15BA088NR. http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/pro...-with-AMD-Quad-Core-Processor-1TB-HDD-4GB-RAM

still I think its pretty solid...I mean 1TB hd, amd a8 is ok. I was surprised that there is only one company...beach camera, selling this model. It seems like kinda messed up that this isnt available anywhere mainstream. Its got solid specs for average use

4. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My gut instinct is, if you have to buy SquareTrade, you bought the wrong laptop. There are two HP, consumer and business. The latter machines are solid, reliable, stable. What they lack in looks and cheap, they make up for it in durable, reliable, practical, and well supported and warranted. ProBook (the cheapest and least), EliteBook, and ZBook are the good HP, everything else is not in my mindset, as I don't play games, I do not suffer flimsy hardware, and Pakistani/Indian tech support script readers who waste my time, and don't treat me and my work as important are people I have no time for, I have work to do.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    Personally I wouldn't bother with additional warranty, and as Kent T discusses it would be a good idea to get a business-class laptop next time you're on the market. Not only are those built a lot more durable and reliable than consumer-class laptops, but generally the default warranty on those are pretty decent (1 year Next Business Day coverage iirc, with the option to buy more).

As for the current laptop, I'd just keep a backup of the data on it, back up often, and just use the laptop until it dies. An external hard drive and/or online backup are far more valuable than any warranty you can purchase for the laptop.

6. arctic circle decimal

Reputations:
    what are you saying this thing is bound to fry up at any given point? the last computer i had was an older elitebook model...before that I had a consumer HP laptop that did eventually fry up. But...this one doesnt seem to run nearly as hot, that was an AMD turion processor. The technology has progressed i'm pretty sure.

I do plan to get a warranty on it...and i think business class or consumer this thing is fine computer. I mean time will tell but 50$ for a three year warranty, no problem. The warranty is less if u call in and order thru someone...I'm wondering if the same loophole exists with buying a notebook. Next time