What notebook form

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by IanCD, Jan 13, 2020.

1. IanCD

IanCD Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    This laptop is for my father-in-law.
    Budget is flexible... I'm looking for something that will meet his needs but want to give him a choice between 2 options, one in a price range around £700-900... something like, say, a Dell Inspiron 17 3000, the other option would be a mobile workstation, with the build quality and on-site warranty that comes with that potentially ramping the cost up. I think £1500 would be the absolute max. and there'd have to be good reasons to recommend this as one of the options. He would consider Certified Refurbished laptops, which I know are available from Dell - I don't know whether Lenovo, HP, MSI do this too.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

He'll be using the laptop to watch movies, TV, etc

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    Dell - because I've used their Outlet store to buy my own Precision Mobile 7710, and my wife's Latitude 6440
    Build quality and reliabilty were priorities.

b. Dislike:
    Fujitsu. Owned 2, failed.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    YES

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Researching and reading science articles and papers.
    Watching movies and TV
    Writing articles
    International Skype calls
    Email, internet, etc
    (No gaming)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Keeping at home, leaving on desk most of the time

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not important

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Buyin online without seeing

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1920 x 1080

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte / non-glossy

Build Quality and Design

Build quality is important. "Looks and style" aren't.

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Probably doesn't need a lot (e.g. 500Gb), but I'd prefer to recommend one with a separate SSD for the OS and either a 500Gb or 1Tb separate drive for data.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    In the next month or so.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    Possibly up to 10 years... it's taken years for him to be persuaded he needs to replace his previous one..!

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    It would be a nuisance/ inconvenience, but no time limit that I'm aware of.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

I'm anticipating that will be one of the differences between the two options I want to give him.

==========
    END COPY

Please state any additional features you need. It's also helpful if you can indicate how experienced you are with computers. If you're a novice and don't know much, that's alright. Everyone's a novice at some point.

One of the criteria I'll be looking at is how much system noise the laptop produces. E.g. I just looked at a review of an MSI workstation which produces 64db when stressed. That's not ok..!

Reasonable audio quality from built in speakers for watching movies would be a bonus.

2. IanCD

Reputations:
    Additional desirable featrures (i.e. these aren't essential, but I would have thought possible with the flexible budget):
    16Gb RAM
    Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) rather than Home

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've been fairly happy with my ProBook 470 G5. My and you Dads uses are similar. It's fairly light for a 17" at 5.5 pounds, unless you want to get a LG Gram 17. The problem with getting a workstation is it's like to cost and weigh more without adding much benefit given the usage. I saw the G5 is still for sale on Amazon UK.

4. IanCD

Reputations:
    Thanks ZaZ. I've sent him links to a couple on Amazon to look at.