what laptop would work best for me?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bealelc, Jan 13, 2020.

1. bealelc

bealelc Newbie

Reputations:
    hey so I originally asked this question about a year ago and you guys gave me a couple options, well some stuff came up and I ended up not being able to get one but with tax time coming I'm looking again so any help would be much appreciated! I do still have the options noted but I know a lot of new models have come out so just looking for an updated opinion.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    originally it was $1000 but in my research I've seen a lot for about $50-100 over so I expanded to $1200 and I'm hoping to get a good deal and have it come in around my budget if possible because I also plan to buy a warranty from whichever place I choose to get it.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I've had a dell inspiron for the last 9 years so I am more familiar with them however I'm open to any brand.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    probably not refurbished because I haven't had good luck with other items that were in the past but redistributed I think I could be okay with.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    social networking, listening to music, streaming shows, and mild gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    It'll mostly be in my lap until I can get a desk then it'll be both.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook?
    I'll mostly be playing the sims 4 I have a lot of the expansions and play with a lot of mods, I have a goal of beating all the scenarios from the rollercoaster tycoon and zoo tycoon series so I'd like it to be able to do that. I have planet coaster as well and have been looking at planet zoo which I believe are both 3D. I have recently gotten into CoD mobile and love it and i'd like to be able to maybe give some games like that a shot on pc. most of my games are downloadable so I don't necessarily need a cd drive.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    not many I would mostly use it while it's connected to the charger.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'd prefer to see them in person however if there's maybe a YouTube video I could watch or something along those lines I think I'd be okay.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    windows is what I've always used but I'd be open to other OS's.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    I'm not sure, high or ultra I guess.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    I believe my last was glossy so I'd be okay with either.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    mostly no but if possible I would really love an rgb backlit keyboard.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I guess a minimum of 512 GB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    next month

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    as long as possible I want something good and reliable. I had a lot of issues with my dell while it was under warranty but after that expired it made it another five years and obviously I don't expect this one to last quite as long but I want at least four years or more if possible.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    well it's been about a year and a half without one so I can go a long time if necessary.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I could ship it out if need be.

==========

i'm very inexperienced with the workings of computers, I was able to replace my keyboard once thanks to YouTube but when looking at the specs I just like don't understand them all and I don't know which are best and which are eh. I've been looking at a lot of brands from asus to acer to msi to alienware to maingear to lenovo. I thought I had decided on an msi at walmart however it's walmart and here they aren't exactly known for pcs and then after googling msi I found out that while the product may be great at first a lot aren't reliable. obviously I don't know how true that is because I don't know much about this stuff but it's got me questioning and looking around. I've mostly been looking on amazon because I'm looking for user reviews and I'm not sure where else to find them as most sites I came across either didn't even show a rating or didn't have enough detailed reviews but they also seem to have a good warranty past the manufacturers warranty. there are so many models out there and I don't have a lot of money so I don't want to screw this up and buy something that's really not worth it and gonna end up being a hassle so I'm hoping y'all will take pity on me and help out.

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think the Dell XPS 15 checks a lot of your boxes. I would check the Dell Outlet. As long as it's not marked scratch and dent, it should be as new and come with a year of warranty directly from Dell. Plus, you're likely to get a nice discount over new.

3. bealelc

bealelc Newbie

Reputations:
    I was completely unaware that dell even had an outlet thank you! so a long time dream of mine has been to own an alienware but I didn't think it was in my budget and I've heard they are overpriced now and not worth it but as I was looking through the outlet I saw a few and I'm wondering if they'd be worth the outlet prices or if it's just a bad idea over all and I should stick with your suggestion?

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What you're asking is a value question, so it's kind of hard for me to say for you given that we just met. I'm not much of a gamer either. If you've got questions about a specific model, you might want ask in the Alienware forum where you're going to find its owners who can give you the scoop better than I can.

Generally speaking the more you specialize a notebook to be able to game, the more weight you'll add for beefier GPUs and cooling parts to keep the lid on the heat. It'll probably more noisy as well, but if you want the best gaming, that's the price you'll have to pay. The XPS is more of an all-arounder that can game some.