What laptop has the best speakers?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Quicklite, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, only DTRs stand a chance these days of having decent built-in speakers that also cover the low end spectrum. With bulky plastic chassis replaced by sleek metal housings and HDDs and ODDs having to go super slim or home, there's not much room for innovative speaker configurations. Then again, even back when having a recognisable audio brand could mean aiming for a standout feature, things weren't always that great:
    Yep, even if it is a bit sad that we may never hear anything far outdoing the original JBL with MaxxAudio speakers in the XPS line, I'm happy that the times of creaking, vibrating, and flexing plastic constructions are passing, and it's not like Lenovo (Y-series), Asus, Alienware, or MSI disappoint many:

2. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For me, nobody makes suitable speakers in a laptop for quality audio. Either I use headphones with a headphone amplifier, or I use an external audio interface connected to quality high end audio gear.

ajkula66, Jarhead and TomJGX like this.
  3. talknotebooks

talknotebooks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree,

I have never found any notebook with good speakers. I use a bluetooth speaker setup.

my speakers have over 250watts of power with a giant subwoofer.

Sounds much better when watching movies online.

theres some cool 5.1 theater bt sets too I was thinking about.

bluetooth works great for speaker connections.

Amplified speakers with a subwoofer take too much power to hook up to a notebook. Bluetooth is the answer

4. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    In other words, the laptop with the best speakers is whichever laptop you've plugged into quality speakers at home/work/etc.

5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:

Ya got it! ;)

TomJGX and alexhawker like this.
  6. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no laptop has good speakers.

get yourself a nice headset for that purpose.

good luck

nipsen likes this.
  7. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I don't agree. You can say the same for the display and then for the keyboard, and etc, and you'll end-up with a desktop. I'm not saying to expect miracles, but there are examples that show us that there is some sound to be get out of that tiny chassis. And BTW I have a quality receiver with nice 5.1 and also pretty nice head-set and because my internal speakers are TERRIBLE I have X-Mini Max II speakers as well. Sometimes you just NEED the sound on the go, and that's the whole point of having a laptop - portability. You don't need to carry all the extra stuff. Laptops can be made with pretty reasonable quality and power speakers. It's just that most manufacturers don't care that much (at all) about it. Hell, they didn't care about the displays up until recently (4K happened and everyone went bananas, while 6 years they were throwing crappy TNs all over the place), and you are looking at the damn thing the better half of the day, but that's another story.

Apollo13 likes this.
  8. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    That XPS 17 L702x looks interesting. 22W speakers in a laptop... that'd have quite the impact on battery life, but I'm sure it's meant to be used when plugged in most of the time. I'd be curious to hear it in person; while I haven't had a laptop with fantastic sound, I have heard the difference between respectable and terrible (the 8740w that triturbo and I have and I'm typing this on is in the latter category; I didn't buy it for the sound). So I'm curious what a really good laptop for sound would be like.

I'm also glad that when a laptop was my only computer, I had one with halfway decent audio. Although I must admit that I didn't buy it for that going in, so I didn't reward the halfway decent speakers economically on purpose.

9. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1: Real Stereo requires 6"-10" of speaker separation. 2: Quality amplifier/preamplifier/integrated/receiver necessary. 3. Quality loudspeakers needed. 4. Quality audio interface needed. I do not listen to MP3. I listen to analog most of the time or better digital of CD resolution or higher. Bluetooth degrades sound quality further. I use McIntosh amplifiers and preamplifiers/tuners. I own Klipsch Chorus, The Advent Loudspeaker, and Dynaco A 25 loudspeakers. I have an HH Scott 312D FM tuner. I also own Otari MX 5050 B II half track open reel machines, and have a JVC KD-V6 cassette machine. I use turntables a great deal. With quality tonearms and cartridges. My equipment is maintained to specification or beyond. I am a broadcast engineer, my gear is maintained to the highest level of standard.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  10. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Find someone who owns an old ThinkPad A3* series and be prepared to cry...unfortunately, the rest of the architecture is so dated that these machines are almost unusable nowadays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.