What is your ideal laptop?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Omexis, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you are not someone who intends to fiddle with the gpu/cpu it does not matter if you have a decent warranty to back you up :)

2. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    What would you do with modular components?

3. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not throw out the entire notebook when one component breaks? lol.
    i.e. The inevitable GPU burnout.

4. darkarn

darkarn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not sure what you mean by that

Erm, upgrade them I suppose? :D (Unless the prices aren't good that is...)

5. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's interesting! I ask because, typically, a replacement motherboard on some systems runs about as much as a replacement CPU or a GPU. Wanting the potential for upgrading, I understand.

6. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm the type that likes to do my own repairs (which is a good thing since I am an engineer lol), one of my biggest pet peeves in the industry is forced upgrades. Socketed GPUs are easier to repair than the BGA nonsense. That said, I have access to a high end BGA machine, so if anyone thinks they're forcing me to upgrade, they should think again. I routinely send broken GPUs to nVidia and AMD along with a strongly worded letter. It'll never go to the person that it was intended to reach, but it is a good way to vent. Especially when your company spent $6000 on a Quadro and the damn thing lasts 37 months of useage.

EDIT: It's more about choice than cost. Bigger companies (like the one I work for) are not as cost sensitive, but if you force them to upgrade (even if its a laptop), there's more frustration in having to replace validated parts with something new than simply repairing it. Validation work is tedious and boring, and nobody enjoys doing it. If you force it on people, well... pitchforks and torches are just around the corner.

darkarn likes this.
  7. darkarn

Reputations:
    I am with Krowe on this!

8. darkarn

Reputations:
    I am with Krowe on this!

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    To people who would not open their computer it makes no difference if it's BGA or not as they would never open it.

10. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Definitely the vast majority of people fit into this category. Just yesterday, I successfully replaced a hard drive in a BGA laptop that had crashed (second time I had ever attempted a hardware replacement, the first was a different laptop's screen a few years back), and it was definitely nice to spend only $45 on an HDD instead of buying a whole new computer. So I certainly see the appeal of modularity in laptops. But I also don't think the vast majority of people would want completely modular laptops, especially considering most people buy pretty cheap laptops to begin with - the hassle and cost of buying parts for replacements/upgrades just wouldn't make sense. I myself would prefer a mostly-BGA laptop because I want something light, small, and portable, which I understand are features that don't mix well with modularity.

Still, I like the idea of modular laptops, even though they seem to be on the decline. One can always dream of an inexpensive, small, light laptop that's totally modular though. :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.