What is with people and aftermarket rims???

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Star Forge, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    ...like mine were ALL THE TIME.

I swear, BMW used special brake pads just so they'd make extra dust. :mad: My Camaro never had that problem, but my new Lexus is just like the BMW. :rolleyes:

2. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    When i had my 240sx (180sx over here) i had these nice gold wheels. I cant remember what brand they were, but it had sweet offsets and i was told they were spun forged.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Looks like BBS? Thought AU got 200SX (SR20DET) vs our KA24DE. Meh I just need some cheap wheels.

4. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    The centercaps do look like BBS but im pretty sure it wasnt, i think it was a local manufacturer called simmons wheels.

Nope, 200sx is the name used for of S14 and S15 Silvia but yes we get the SR20DET (black top) here.

Anyway look in ebay/craigslist for wheels and check them out. Most of the car enthusiasts in car forums tend to overvalue their wheels a little.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Ah okay so you guys got 180SX and 200SX lol. Yeah we never officially got 180SX, we basically got 180SX as our S13 240SX, but KA24DE. S14 was same as Japan. Odd part is all 240SX were imported from Japan...so we kinda got shafted (as USDM always does).

BBS knock offs! The drifting S13 I posted earlier apparently rims are cheap, like 120 a wheel.

6. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    yea...we (in the states) always get shafted when it comes to the good stuff! just imagine if Nissan released the S15 Silvia's to us, here. that was a beautiful car.

the wheels on flipfire's 180 are probably a cheaper brand wheel by the looks of it. definitely not BBS or any of the top forged-wheel companies.

the wheels on the "drifting" 240, that tsunade posted, are cheap replicas of Volk TE-37's. the TE-37's are a timeless wheel design that many companies have replicated time and time again. if u are interested in something like that then u shouldn't have any problems trying to locate some wheels. Rota and Drag are 2 companies that make some decent quality replicas. used Rotas and Drag wheels can be had for $300-$400 WITH tires.

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    BMW has switched to newer pads which produce hardly any dust. There is none on my wheels after two weeks without a wash (2011 MY).

8. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    When was this 2011? I thought I saw an F10 5 series with pretty badly coated rims. The big thing is cleaning them periodically as my CR-V had 11 years of brake dust to clean off, spent like 20 bucks in brake dust cleaner to get it all off..

9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
  10. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    My boss had recently taken delivery of his F10 530d so I can report if the brake situation has improved or not. We did a test journey which was about 40 miles and the alloys looked fresh from any dust but we see over the course of the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.