What is with people and aftermarket rims???

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Star Forge, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need to go check out an autocross or track day near you. Almost all the properly set up cars, whether FWD, AWD, or RWD, will run a square setup. Running a staggered setup on a car with a balanced or front biased weight distribution and then trying to tune that to balance out the handling is not going to work well and is a butt backwards way of doing things. You should fit as wide tires to the front as is possible with your setup before going staggered.

Standard RWD street cars with engines in the front come with staggered wheels for two reasons. First is to look cool, and second is to bias the handling towards understeer.

Race cars go staggered because most have engines in the rear, wider in the front is simply not possible, and/or they are making obscene amounts of power and adding more rear traction to lay it down is a more important concern.

What sort of suspension work? How balanced was the handling? Also "all spec'd for track runs" and 21" rear wheels on a 98-2002 Camaro doesn't really add up. Those are some monstrous wheels for that car.

2. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    it's just a matter of personal preference. the darkest i'll go is a gunmetal, for my wheels. my favorite combo would have to be white on chrome/high polished expensive 3-piece forged wheels.
    u try lookin into used 350z or g35 rims?

i just find it kind of funny that u were bashing VIP-style and aftermarket rims. yet u post up a pix of a "drift"-styled 240 with the gaudy (cheap) kit and replica wheels. :p
    what kind of autocross cars are u talking about here? the budget weekend racer that has a "square" setup? u'r forgetting to mention all the other suspension mods that guy is running to pretty much equal a staggered setup. i have not run into ANY hardcore racing/track cars that run any kind of "square" setup.

the front stagger setup was mentioned exclusively towards the many FWD guys that are making a ton of power.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I'm not a fan of ridiculous looking rims. Those were CLEAN white rims. I am not a fan of chrome rims. As long as it is simple and plain.

I am just looking for a cheap set of wheels for winter tires. I can't seem to find any reasonably priced stock 240SX S14 5 lug wheels (usually you can pick up a 4 with tires for 200-250). For the 400 range, I can pick up a set of 03/04 350Z wheels or Cobra R wheels.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I got a PM on a 240SX forum, 4 x stock S14 SE 5 lug wheels for 100, local pickup. Probably got nasty curb rash, but they will be winter wheels lol.

5. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Not sure of the brand, but track tuned. Hard as a rock. :rolleyes:

BTW, it was a 2010 Camaro RS. The stock wheels are, like, 19". The optional performance wheels are quite large...
    [​IMG]

6. houstoned

Reputations:
    i'm not a huge fan of anything replica, so i guess we can just agree to disagree. :p

are u, currently, on your stock 240 wheels? why not wrap those in winter tires and get some cobra R or 350z/G35 wheels for the summer time? that would be the much better option. also, if u live in a city with strong a strong racing culture, u should be able to find many local car/racing forums that will usually have some really nice deals on car parts in the for sale section.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Well the big issue is money. I will eventually save up for a nice set of wheels, but right now I don't have much money and I am saving up for a set of winter tires. Ideally Cobra R/350Z wheels would be great.

I just find it ridiculous that OEM wheels cost as much or MORE than aftermarket wheels. I am getting a set of stock S14 wheels for 100 used with tires so that isn't so bad but all I am seeing is 600 dollars for 4 350Z wheels used, with scuff marks, scratches.

8. houstoned

Reputations:
    yeah, i know what u mean. i've been modifying cars for about 15+ years now. there are some ppl that will tax the heck out of OEM parts, and some that will give u great deals. if money was a big concern, i'd wrap your current OEM rims in some cheap winter tires, and use that 2-4 month period to save a little for some better summer wheels.

too bad u don't live in texas or california. the abundance of aftermarket/OEM parts for sale, on our local forums, is really nice. i just did a really brief search on my local forum and some really nice options showed up in the $400-$600 range.

9. MAA83

MAA83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Rims must be clean.

No chrome.

No Dub power.

No rollin' on 34's on your boxed up Buick either..

But I can see the reason for aftermarket rims.. different sizes.. different materials (I have mag wheels for my motorcycle), different colors, and most importantly... less rotational mass! I apply the same rules for all my hobbies; Car modifications, like laptops, should always emphasize functionality and performance over looks. Sleepers.

But I am not down with the white powdercoated buddyclub rims with red racing tape on the lip, or the yellow enkei's that make you look like all 4 of your tires got dog-violated.

Give me a pair of dark simple matte volk's anyday. oooo wait I got 'em, with Nitto Neogen's wrapped around em.. mmmm

10. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Worst are nice rims with a ton o' brake dust **cough cough** BMW **cough cough**

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.