What is with people and aftermarket rims???

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Star Forge, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star Forge

Star Forge Quaggan's Creed Redux!

Reputations:
    Every time I see people outside driving, there is always a bunch of good-looking stock cars getting ruined by aftermarket rims. Personally I find aftermarket rims not from the OEM to be horrid and most of them ruin the look of the car they were fitted on.

I just don't know what makes people want to fit aftermarket rims and if they do, why don't rim makers make something more subjective and more pleasing for certain types of cars. Like most Bentleys and RR's get ruined by their aftermarket rims (one of the reasons I stopped liking the appeal of those two because of that) and most Japanese tuners will never be pleasing to look from people adding in even more hideous rims and et cetera.

It is one of the reasons I am a stock appearance purist I should say. I always think automotive aesthetics is deemed best by the OEM and not by us and they fail to make the car pretty, then the car wasn't going to be good anywhere else in the first place.

Furthermore by adding in rims aftermarket also insults the car designer too in my opinion on respect, especially on supercars and sports cars. So what gives on rims? Seriously! :rolleyes:

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Always love those like 93 Civics with rims worth 2x the car..

I prefer stock wheels, unless of course you have done a significant swap, where stock wheels cannot handle the load.

3. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Depends what Rims we're talking about dear Star Forge. Not all aftermarket rims are bad and for certain cars it actually can turn out quite nice. I like the one where gives them a sporty look personally without making them look odd or feel like they're on stilts. It has to match the stance of the car so I like it when they look like this...

[​IMG]

rather than...

[​IMG]

4. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Crap like that is tasteless. I find it hilarious people spend so much money on rims when their car isn't worth anything.

5. makaveli72

makaveli72 Eat.My.Shorts

Reputations:
    Aftermarket Rims brings out a new look to the vehicle; I personally love to see them. But of course not everyone share the same sentiments.

Actually thinking about putting some on my Jeep Liberty for xmas. ;)

PS: What model of vehicle do you drive OP?

6. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    maybe because there are some aftermarket wheels that are better than OEM, in every which way. honestly, the first thing i do with any new car i get is lower it to my preferred stance and slap on better rims.
    at least we finally agree on something. donks look like *bleep*

i find your comments pretty wrong though -- borderline ignorant. one man's trash is another man's treasure. from your responses, i can tell u don't know much about cars, so u are nobody to put someone else's hard work down like that. even though i hate donks, i still respect the blood, sweat, and tears that they poured into their builds.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I do most of the work on my car. I bought a stock 240SX and I have kept it stock minus an aftermarket head unit (previous owner removed it) and the exhaust system (old exhaust rusted off, so previous owner installed a cheapo aftermarket exhaust, currently only running headers + cat, no muffler or resonator).

I'm not trashing aftermarket wheels, but you know those pos 90's Accord and stuff and the only modification is big wheels that serve no purpose but to look atrocious. I don't mind if you swap wheels (eg hub caps to some form of stock wheels) but again most aftermarket wheels are vulgar. As long as it looks somewhat stock I don't mind, or it is CLEAR you have done a major engine swap/upgrade to warranty upgraded wheels.

I don't not respect people's builds, but if it is clearly no modifications and they bought wheels just to look cool, sorry you ain't ballin' in your 87' CRX, pardon my French. They could have bought a nicer car up front and it look good. By the way, I bought my 240SX for 2300.

8. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    I run original equipment wheels (from another Jeep) on my Cherokee. They would look better if they were the original silver. Eventually I'll repaint
    [​IMG]

9. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
  10. johnw91498

johnw91498 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If the OEM weren't so stupid expensive, aftermarket is the way to go.

Case in point: The 19x7.5 Toyota rims for a 2012 Highlander, guess how much my dealer wanted for a set with tires?

Wait for it...$3,200 plus $150 to mount and balance...wth??? That's insane...:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.