1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

What is TouchCheck? And how to disable pointer stick?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by guy121, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy121

guy121 Notebook Enthusiast

So I can't figure out what TouchCheck actually does. I tend to like light touches and high sensitivity.

I also have a problem with the pointer stick. Every once in a while my touchpad would stop working and I finally figured out what it was. When my finger is resting on or is touching the pointer stick, the touchpad doesn't work. Considering I often use either the buttons on top of or below the touchpad, my index finger tends to rest there. How can I disable it?

2. Khris

Khris Yes I am better than you!

First of all, you should specify which laptop you're referring to here. The more information you provide, the easier it will be for others to help you.

I'm going to assume you have a Latitude of some incarnation. In the touchpad properties (touchpad icon in the tray) there will be settings there to enable/disable the stick mouse and buttons.

3. guy121

guy121 Notebook Enthusiast

Oh I thought dell had the same program that goes on all their laptops. Yeah I have a D630. I figured out how to turn off the pointer stick, but I still have no clue to what TouchCheck does. I have tried googling it, but it doesn't seem like anyone knows.

4. Poop_shoe

Poop_shoe Notebook Enthusiast

Bump for an answer. I turned it off and it seems to make my touch pad smoother, but still not as smooth as my wife's Asus W3j touchpad.

5. nm88

nm88 Notebook Evangelist

I guess you have a Synaptics touchpad and you're using the ancient and buggy driver Dell ships. TouchCheck is different from the touch sensitivity control; it's now called PalmCheck and works as follows:
    Uninstall that old driver from Dell and install the current Synaptics driver. It has many new features and better describes the existing features.

6. jeffkew

jeffkew Notebook Enthusiast

wow - I'm so glad you posted about this driver - I installed it, and I like it much better. Lots of controls and good explanations of how the touchpad options work.

7. nm88

nm88 Notebook Evangelist

Yep, never get your drivers from Dell -- either what's installed or from their support/download site -- because they're usually way out of date. Sometimes they're even years out of date.

8. wankel

wankel Notebook Consultant

I installed this driver, like it a lot but my scrolling doesnt seem to function now. Is there anyway to enable scrolling with this driver?

9. stevey5036

stevey5036 Notebook Evangelist

TouchCheck is built into the Dell utility regardless of which touchpad you have. The M1530's have Alps touchpads and the touchpad software has the TouchCheck option. What TouchCheck actually does is beyond me.. I've tried using it with and without and I see absolutely no difference. I wouldn't worry about it.

10. jeffkew

Yes - go into the synaptics control panel, click on the device settings tab, click on the settings button - under the virtual scrolling directory you'll find options for turning scrolling on and off, changing the width of the scroll areas, etc. If that doesn't work, you might have some other problem. Did you first uninstall the dell touchpad driver? That might be important.

11. wankel

I got to the buttons settings, but I dont see where it says virtual scrolling?

12. nm88

nm88 Notebook Evangelist

Double-click tray icon -> Device Settings tab -> Settings -> Virtual Scrolling.

There are also three submenus for fine-tuning scrolling.

13. wankel

When i click the settings tab all i see is "overview" and "buttons". When i click on buttons it saids right and left button, and when i click on overview is says patent. Maybe the one i installed doesnt have it?

14. jeffkew

You know, I am using XP pro. If you are using Vista that could be the problem. Make sure you download the driver for the correct operating system. You can alway reinstall the dell touchpad driver from their website if you continue to have problems.

15. wankel

Yeah im using vista ultimate 64, i know i downloaded the correct driver as well. Maybe its just not supported. Thanks for all the help, its much appreciated :)

16. nm88

nm88 Notebook Evangelist

I am using Vista 32-bit and it's working fine.

Are you sure you have the Synaptics device?

17. wankel

I have the alps device. Im assuming I cant use the synaptics driver on it?

18. jeffkew

Oh - that's probably the problem, I'm sure synaptics only makes drivers to work with their own hardware.

19. nm88

nm88 Notebook Evangelist

20. stokjok

stokjok Newbie

Hi, I have had the same problem, did you ever come up with a fix? I have a dell 430 and it also had a pointer, does anyone know how to disable? and how to get the synaptics driver to show all options instead of just overview and button

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.