What is this??

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by esphano, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esphano

esphano Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK...i will give it a try and post you the results.

2. BruBoo

BruBoo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Another equally nuclear but quicker approach (I just posted this in the acer area) Some bits not relevant but cannot be a***d to re write :)

===============================================
    Given the problems you have had I would be going the clean install route too.

There is a technique to this though as you need more than the format command to entirely de-acer the HDD.

FIRST, do NOT read this bit last !!!!!

You can probably still recover files, photos music emails etc off the HDD by putting it in a USB laptop drive caddy and plugging it into another PC. If you proceed you will lose that opportunity to recover anything

Likewise you are about to lose your acer recovery options.

I would buy a clean new HDD and swap that to retain your old HDD and data to recover later if needed. If youre sure you want to reuse the current HDD then fine . . but you know what you are doing

On another PC locate the acer downloads sites (help and support on the website) of driver and application files for your laptop and windows 7 version 32/64 you will have. Many drivers will install with windows but expect to have to install the acer sound driver, card reader driver, launch manager, power managers and get an up to date video driver and have a bit of fun finding the right wifi and camera drivers. Useful to have these things on a usb stick.

I will assume that the W7 DVD you get is a retail full install version (not an upgrade) and that you will have a valid license key for this. Instructions will change if these are not the case so do check please.

In summary
    Go into BIOS (F2 at acer logo time suring BIOS boot) and ensure the CD/DVD is set to boot before the HDD. Save exit, insert Windows DVD, reboot.

After a couple of windows setup screens you will get to an option that allows you to select repair.

From the repair console options screen choose the command prompt (DOS box)

In that DOS Black screen type diskpart and enter
    type list disk and enter
    look at the disks listed. what number is your HDD ? Remember the number (#)
    type select disk # where # is the number of the HDD and enter
    type clean and enter
    the disk will quickly be totally wiped of all partitions, whether hidden, broken whatever.
    type exit and enter to return to the menu and then return to windows installation

the windows install will now tell you of an unformatted disk and ask if it should install there. Off you go.
    The exact install menu choices might not be exactly what i say above - typing this from memory. 99.9% sure onthe diskpart commands though

3. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    And to follow up on BruBoo's post, MAKE SURE THE PC YOU ARE USING TO RECOVER THE INFO HAS PROPER ANTI-MALWARE INSTALLED AND RUNNING! I have seen clean pc's infected by recovery attempts of dirty hard drives. This is why you back up often to external media...so you can safely nuke your drive and recover your files.

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The only option is to backup all your data and perform a clean install.

5. PapaSmurf69

PapaSmurf69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I have to recovery files from an infected, or suspected infected drive I hook it up to a computer as the only other drive except for a blank drive with two partitions and boot to a Linux Live CD. I copy the files to the second partition. That way there is no way of infecting a working system.

After I have recovered the partition I use a Windows image I have stored using Acronis True Image to put a working version of Windows on the first partition, update the AV and Malware programs then run complete scans on all of the files. It might be a bit overkill, but I haven't run into any problems this way.

6. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You mean to perform a clean install and use the backup you have don't you?
    You don't actually need to translate the word for word to explain it's meaning. But in situations where it may be too challenging, the gist of the message will do: what do you mean by foul? Is it profane, vulgar, obscene, etc.? And what was the the intent of the virus? Does it have a specific purpose, or just a prank?

7. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Lol yeah, I am from India. But I don't know Hindi. The messages look dirty.
    I think that you had visited/ watched some holy websites in India, which installed spyware in your system.

Where do you see those messages?

8. sean473

sean473 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    that is seriously some rude hindi.. being indian , i know hindi and i have nver heard such rude stuff ever... i would clean install.. hopefully u had backup ur data.. seriously did u visit some holy website?

9. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    Sometimes overkill is just kill enough.

10. Amnesiac

Amnesiac 404

Reputations:
    I tried translating it, and I'm getting the same result as Trottel did, I can't seem to find the meaning. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.