What is the reasoning against using Comodo products?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by RWUK, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I cannot say I have anything against Comodo based on Melih (whatever that is).
    I personally see Comodo as unnecessary given that most of it's functions are covered by Windows Firewall (which granted would require some fine-tuning before you get it to the same level- but even stock settings are enough for most).

2. woofer00

woofer00 Wanderer

Reputations:
    UAC + Windows firewall are capable of covering most of the same bases as Comodo's suite does. However, they're a pain in the to get set up in a reasonable amount of time to obtain tight security, and there's no such thing as a sand box built into windows. Stock windows firewall will cover the bulk of issues, no question, but I prefer to decouple my security from an OS that is the most popular to attack.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    But the average user really doesn't require extremely tight security in the first place.
    Stock settings on Win 7 firewall for example with a decent AV such as MSE or Avast is enough for most.

Then again, when I was working on people's computers (removing bloat, and setting up the OS to be as clean as possible - basically stock settings), I usually took a few mins to have them write down a few small instructions on how to use the AV in case something happens.

4. woofer00

woofer00 Wanderer

Reputations:
    I believe the exact opposite - the average user needs the most security, especially the average user who thinks he knows about security because he has some, but still engages in risky behavior. The advanced user knows better and can get away with having the least security (see http://forum.notebookreview.com/security-anti-virus-software/524089-guide-how-safely-use-windows-without-anti-virus-security.html and other threads like it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.