What is the point of 4k on small display?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by techlife95, Jul 2, 2017.

1. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Apps never do universally adjust to scaling in Windows.

Everything is living its own life. My icons are the only thing looking good in this cluster f*** of a scaling soup.

HTWingNut likes this.
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    What are your main apps?

I'm saying all this because I also own numerous 4K and 1440p displays.

3. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    VirtualBox, Sandboxie and a few others.

The thing is, that setting anything above 125% - things can get weird. And it is sad to depend on 3rd party programs to fix those issues. Oh well.

4. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I don't think I've seen a single scaling issue in my 1440p except that the computer tries to keep that resolution in Vive's desktop mode, which is not the display's fault.

Ramzay likes this.
  5. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    The Steam client looks like crap, even when you fiddle with the scaling. But that's Steam.

Some games have issues with fullscreen border-less (those this is likely mostly un-optimized games having issues with your game resolution not matching your desktop resolution).

While on the whole I didn't have many issues, every now and then something would crop up that was attributable to Windows scaling issues (on Win10). My 1440p desktop monitor has no issues on Win 8.1, but that's because it's a 25" display.

Overall I agree that most commonly-used programs are ok (web browsing, Youtube, email, office, etc.) but there are a few issues here and there that you simply don't get with a quality FHD. And you take a massive battery hit with the 4K display, depending on the machine. So assuming you find a FHD display with equal brightness/colour distribution/viewing angles/colour accuracy, I see no reason to go for the 4K (yet). Of course, the catch here is that most UHD displays are superior to FHD displays in most of these areas...

Prototime likes this.
  6. rlk

rlk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The difference between 1920x1200 (on my Dell M6500) and 3840x2160 (on my Lenovo P70) is night and day.

I mostly use my laptops for either image (and sometimes video) editing, or text-heavy work (programming), in addition to the usual browsing and such, running Linux. The higher quality of the display in general helps with the former, but the real payoff is for text, where I can get quite a lot more legible text on the screen. On a ~120 DPI screen, the limiting factor for me is the cell size for a character (6x10 is what I use in emacs for editing text and terminal windows for shell interaction; smaller than that and there simply aren't enough pixels for good legibility). My UHD screen is maybe 230 DPI, but I set my system up to lie and say it's 132 DPI. For text work, I use a 18 pixel font that's somewhat narrower; it's not quite as nice as the 6x10 bitmap font, but I can get quite a bit more on the screen with considerably better legibility.

The few times I boot Windows I set scaling to 175%.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:

I think a lot of times we assume people think they'll be gaming on a 4K display (which does not work so well), but for content creation, the additional detail and quality of display is much more important than FPS and more importantly can be shown without massive GPU use. While I would personally want more screen real estate for that (at least 17") balancing that with mobility makes a 4K 15" more attractive.

jaug1337, rlk and tilleroftheearth like this.
  8. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On consumer PC forums using relatively high spec systems for anything but graphics-heavy AAA gaming has always been blasphemy. I actually find NBR much better than average in the regard. I guess the hardcore population are still busy laughing at the concept of gaming laptop on other sites.

9. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    There's also a problem with weird expectations, they do build workstations, but people don't like the prices so they go look at gaming systems (which aren't built for work or content creation) and wonder why they're not the same.

rlk, Jarhead and tilleroftheearth like this.
  10. Naeky

Naeky Newbie

Reputations:
    It's al relative

For instance my phone supports 1080 or 1440p or 4k resolution and allows me to choose
    I leave my phone at 1080p because I can't tell any difference between 1080p and 4k on such a small screen, maybe other eyes can

But on a laptop, even though the screen is relatively small - the texture boost that games get will be noticeable - you can try this yourself, grab a youtube 4k video and watch it on your 1080p screen, even on 1080p that 4k video will look beter than then 1080p video

On a tv its most noticeable, 1080p looks very bad on my 55 inch tv where as 4k just amazing