What is the point of 4k on small display?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by techlife95, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    As good as scaling has become with updates, it's still pretty flawed IMO. And you're definitely right, the difference becomes more noticeable with screen size.

Midas Touch and jaug1337 like this.
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    With more hi-rez screens available (more and more); the scaling will need to be addressed sooner...

My eyes can't wait when 8K+ screens are available for notebooks... (finally; a use for a gpu). :)

3. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:

Might yet be a bit before 8K comes to notebooks I think. Unless when it arrives it's 30Hz or something.

Midas Touch likes this.
  4. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    I'd like to believe it will be sooner than later. And 30Hz refresh rates/monitors will be looked at like dinosaurs by then.

5. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Maybe we'll see one or two drop with Volta if it's powerful enough.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    2160p looks beautiful, but gaming on it requires hardware that occupies your wallet for a long time.

1440p, on the other hand, is a noticeable upgrade from 1080p, and even though it too requires additional power, it fits nicely between the two.

4K IMHO is objectively worth it, but running 4K 120Hz in games is almost outright insane :D I am going to wait a bit before boarding that boat

Just my $0.02

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Just a 'note': I don't game, I don't do video directly (for the most part... even if my output is used in videos...).

I just want the image on my screens to appear as if I'm looking at a $200 (my cost) print - or better yet; the actual scene itself as viewed with my own eyes.

1440p is a good step up from 1080p. But 4K is another level (when and if it has all the bells and whistles 4K comes with; HDR, extended color, a higher quality signal path, etc.).

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    I'm kind of in the same place. 1440p was a good upgrade but I don't really have the hardware to make anything higher worth it.

Starlight5, jaug1337 and Phoenix like this.
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Here's my old thread about this same topic:

How does anyone in his right mind buy a 4K screen laptop?

10. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This thread is also relevant to this discussion: Opinions on 4k gaming on laptop

As I mentioned there, we're seeing quickly diminishing returns on resolution increases. 4K is an improvement over 1080p, but much less so than going from SD to HD was. Past 4K, there's likely to be little noticeable effect for most consumer uses in increasing the resolution (although things like 5K make sense for 4K content creators, and much higher resolutions make sense for VR, etc.).

I'm much more excited for advancements in OLED and especially "true QLED" (not that fake QLED crap Samsung just started pushing under a false name for marketing reasons) than I am for advancements in screen resolution. These display technologies will make things look incredibly better than 16K resolution ever could.