What is the point of 4k on small display?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by techlife95, Jul 2, 2017.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    38 minute video? I can't learn anything from that; total waste of my time. Is there a transcript available?

Did you respond to my queries (post#15)?

2. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Televisions are a different forum.

If you can't understand the points I tried to make; your loss. You're not even attempting to understand what I'm saying.

I thought it would be easier for you to grasp being in the field and all, but if you wanted to understand; you would be asking for clarity.

I'm not confusing anything here; you're the one that mentions software effects, not me.

Making a false assumption by default defeats the points you're trying to make. There is such a thing as making it too simple. ;)

In 1999 I quickly found out that image quality isn't just what the camera's sensor delivers; the software plays a huge part (yeah; especially for a RAW file/format).

Btw; 'recorded' image quality is the sum of all the steps taken to deliver an image in it's intended format (screen/print/billboard/etc.). The camera sensor is only part of that equation (and in many cases the lessor part). I'm not talking about 'effects' here; I'm talking about getting a RAW image and making it come alive for the viewer; that is my 'quality' standard.

When I deliver a set of images for projection from a TV - I actually take that TV from the client and finish the images with that TV in mind. When those same images are destined to be printed; they are finished in an entirely different way. The point being that an image by itself isn't 'perfect-quality' on it's own. It depends (and highly) on how it will be shown and at what distance too.

3. techlife95

techlife95 Newbie

Reputations:
    My bad & yes that video is long as hell. At 27:29 he mentions 4k at least 40 inches

4. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    At what distance? Display size means nothing if viewing distance isn't known.

(I'll go check the video around that time stamp... thanks).

5. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Okay, I saw that video around the 25 minute mark on to about the 30+... babble, babble... ugh!

So, he's talking about using 4K monitor at native resolution - yeah; for him 40"+ is a good size. And maybe for 'most' people too. Doesn't mean someone else won't value a 24" or even smaller (young eyes!) at native resolution though with the added quality that a Monitor brings over a TV.

The errors of that $500 TV greatly offset the much higher quality of the 29" he showed... Yeah; he can use it at native resolution - but it isn't doing his eyes any good. ;)

6. heretofore

heretofore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you think a television is not a display, then I have nothing more to say to you.
    Have fun arguing on this forum and believe whatever you want.

7. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Again; never said that. I'm here to learn and share info on notebooks and computers in general. You?

This isn't arguing, btw. This is 'trying to have a conversation'...

8. heretofore

heretofore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have learned nothing from you. I dont want to chat with you.
    Good bye.

9. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Likewise. :rolleyes:

But on my part, it's not from lack of trying.

10. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Me personally, I see the benefits on larger displays, and no so much on smaller displays, especially at 15" or smaller. Maybe I could be convinced eventually to get a 4k 18" laptop but I hate scaling and I would hate to try to use native 4K res on a 15" panel.