What is the point of 4k on small display?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by techlife95, Jul 2, 2017.

1. techlife95

techlife95 Newbie

Reputations:
    4k on a small screen seems overkill to me & does not make sense to me. How can you tell quality difference of 4k on a 15-17 inch screen? Plus 4k can hinder battery life just overkill. :(

2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So dont buy one.

I have compared 1080p and 4K side by side in 17"ers by the way. For some I'm sure its a "won't notice without looking for it" difference but I am NOT in that some.

Visual quality of small text or anything with an aliased line or curve looks great. Games, where the frame rate drop doesn't compromise the overall experience, look amazing.

3. chezzzz

chezzzz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    agreed, well said.

bennyg likes this.
  4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Yeah it's solely for the increased dpi. The extra crispness vs 1080p should be visible.

chezzzz and don_svetlio like this.
  5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My phone's screen is 432 ppi and I can see the benefit of the high pixel density in terms of text clarity but I hold it about 8" from my face. On the other hand, the normal viewing distance of my my notebook screen is about 24" in which case the equivalent pixel density is 144 ppi - very close to FHD on a 15.6" panel. I personally value battery time over slightly better rendering on the screen plus the risk of problems with any software which doesn't scale well (a bigger risk with older packages of which I have several).

John

jaug1337 and HTWingNut like this.
  6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    I cannot see the point on anything under a 32" unless it`s to be used in an VR headset, when the display is 2" away from your eyes 4K might be minimum resolution.

John.

7. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Some people have better eyesight than others.

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    How can you tell? All you have to do is really look at it.

Just like with (professional) digital cameras around 1999; resolution isn't the only thing that is improved with more pixels.

And just like a 4K video from youtube looks better on a 720K screen; a 4K monitor displaying even just a desktop is easier on the eyes for far, far longer than anything with less resolution of equal quality.

Not only are individual pixel differences/errors less obnoxious to our eyes because they are physically smaller and are much more insignificant part of the whole picture... they are also higher quality than their lessor counterparts too.

If you're gaming; battery life will be an issue. But I don't care one iota about gaming.

If you're simply using a computer screen/monitor for hours every day; get the highest quality screen possible (period).

Just like the keyboard and the mouse (or; my preference; TrackPad), the screen is what you use to interact with your computer the most with - don't skimp on it to save a few mere $$ or a few minutes on battery life. ;)

Ramzay likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    tl;dr:

4k is good on a small screen if you care about content creation and image processing (e.g. you do WORK on your computer).
    4k is worthless on a small screen if you're gaming on a laptop and want FPS higher than 30.
    P.S. watching a 4k video on a 720p screen is supersampling antialiasing....

10. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Of course; the error in your logic is that the GPU would provide that 'higher than 30 FPS' score. The screen size is irrelevant.

And even gamers would rather have 4K screens - all other things being equal. ;)