What is the Max Zbook 15 G1 Upgrade possible without major alterations

Discussion in 'HP' started by wbgenetic, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Hristomir Hristov

Hristomir Hristov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your configuration is with the cheapest display. Small angle of view and small color spectrum. It is a good idea to upgrade with a better display.

2. Hristomir Hristov

Reputations:
    Someone, somewhere, had gathered all the possible modifications, specifications and so on. and all manufacturers and types of displays for Zbook G1 and G2.
    I can't find it, I forgot where it was.
    By memory, there are three manufacturers for these two models and 4-5 types of displays.
    But I'm not sure!

AU Optronics like yours i think there are 2 models, Samsung like mine http://www.panelook.com/LTN156HL06-C01_Samsung_15.6_LCM_overview_24666.html - a good level of display and maybe LG.

You may notice that Samsung's panel is 6bit, but it has 100% sRGB.
    Samsung achieves this with Frame rate control /FRC/.
    The effect is really real and stunning.
    The screen is great!

But have beter displey panel /no Dream color/.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  3. wbgenetic

wbgenetic Newbie

Reputations:
    I've checked the display online:
    Around 385nits which is pretty average.
    Brightness is actually very good.
    Adobe RGB coverage is 53.8% uncalibrated but reaches around 80% when calibrated!!
    sRGB is 83.4% which is decent on it's own.

So the display is not bad per se - just among the worst this laptop can offer :)

Interested to see the versions and models available to see what would be the best fit.
    I am defo not considering a Dream color display as it does not work with switchable graphics afaik and it would hit battery life significantly.

Additional info for the model: (according to HWinfo)
    AU Optronics B156HTN03.5

http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/B156HTN03.5.pdf

Yes the Samsung panel you mention is far superior:

Contrast ratio 800:1 compared to 400:1.
    Display color is 16M vs 256K
    6bit vs 6bit + FRC
    Viewing angles are 85/85/85/85 vs 45/45/15/35
    Color coverage is 12-20% higher in all aspects.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  4. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HP's implementation of that mSATA slot is... I'll just say it, downright stupid. It was meant for accelerated SSD cache, because they did not have enough money for proper engineering :D

There were some reports of successful swaps, with Intel 530 series mSata drive and some Sandisk iirc. They could be used as a primary drive.

I think maybe an optical drive to M.2 or just SATA adapter would be a better choice. Or an Expresscard to M.2 adapter - hopefully coming soon https://thinkmods.store/

AUO used to be great on older Elitebooks, the ones in the Zbook G1/G2 are terrible - I can see the vertical space between pixels and it's driving me nuts. LG is better, but has weird backlight bleeding :/

5. wbgenetic

wbgenetic Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah I was looking at MSata to M.2 adapter the other day - this might be a good option if it works properly ...
    The express card adapter sounds interesting as well ... lol 2 HDDs + MSata/M.2 + Expresscard M.2 hdd :D

For what is worth the display is a big upgrade from my old Lenovo qHD display ... viewing angles are better as well but it is not great when compared to really good displays I guess.

6. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i7 4940MX (i7 4810MQ+ is enough to max out the cooling system)
    GTX 965M MXM A or WX 4150 MXM A
    (GTX 1050/1650 MXM A might work?)
    32GB RAM DDR3L RAM, 2133mhz maybe?
    2 5TB 2.5" drives, 4TB MSATA SSD (extremely expensive, anything above 1TB is insane)
    1080P Dreamcolor panel, 4K 60hz or 1080P 144hz with ZBook 15 G2 motherboard swap.
    I believe that is all

7. ahrlad

ahrlad Newbie

Reputations:
    I know you specifically requested options without major alterations, but this might interest somebody maybe.

I put a full-size GTX 780M into my Zbook G2 (which has the exact same dimensions of pcbs and casing as the G1). I got it working stable after a lot of work, but haven't finished the cooling setup yet. [​IMG]

The card won't fit the case or motherboard without some destructive modding, mainly the plastic supporting the keyboard, but also the optical/sata port, are in the way.

The most frustrating part was forcing Windows to accept self-signed drivers without having testsigning set to on. That stuff took me ages.

I burned a motherboard when playing around with this (inserting/removing the GPU without disconnecting power). I can't really recommend trying this stuff out unless you're a bit more competent than me--but it does work. I'll probably switch this for an eGPU solution in time, unless I manage to get this stuff working reliably with all the bits in place.

jotm likes this.
  8. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you get it to fit, you can use that empty space for a fan, imo.

Interesting work!

9. Justin Lee English

Justin Lee English Newbie

Reputations:
    does the dreamcolor monitor have two antennas or 4

10. Hristomir Hristov

Reputations:
    There are only 2 antennas because there is no WWAN module!

Justin Lee English likes this.