what is the concept of EUR 500 in western Europe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kenny1999, Sep 29, 2017.

1. kenny1999

kenny1999 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    what I mean "western" Europe is the richer European countries like Germany, Norway, Sweden, France... etc

What is the concept of EUR 500 in those countries?

What can you buy with EUR 500 there? What is the average daily salary of people there, excluding taxes, for
    NOT working in professional industries like medicine or engineering ....

Maybe I should ask in this way. As a tourist, how many days I can stay with EUR 500? Not including flights, living
    in average motels (not too luxury, not too worse), not dining at expensive restaurants, just living like the most
    ordinary people.

I am NOT planning to go to Europe or work in Europe, just out of curiosity because of some reasons that are too long to explain.

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Which country are you planning on visiting precisely? You can make do with that for 3 weeks with ease in Bulgaria but I doubt you'd be able to stay in Germany for more than a week or two with ~500 euros.

kenny1999 likes this.
  3. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    500 Euros might be enough for a few days in France and Germany outside of the big cities, but in Norway definitely that is not much money. Here in Britain 500 Euros will get you 440 quid. That will last you a few days in London, possibly a week elsewhere depending what you are staying/eating etc. If you are planning on living cheaply then you could probably stretch it to 2 weeks. Its much cheaper outside of major cities though. If you stayed somewhere like where I live you could probably last 3 weeks or so.

kenny1999 likes this.
  4. kenny1999

kenny1999 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How about Hungary? Poland? Czech? How long can a tourist last with EUR 500 (excluding flights or unpredictable expenses like shopping)

5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I used to live for less during my studies in Germany (Berlin) :D
    My monthly budget was about 350-400 euros.

6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Heck yeah.

[​IMG]

kenny1999 likes this.
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    Honestly, I'd be surprised if you could get a visa to travel to anywhere in Europe with only 500 EUR to spend. At least from all the visa rejection stories I've read about on travel.stackexchange.com, it seems that such a low amount would make immigration think you're tying to sneak in as an illegal immigrant. Seems especially true if you're trying to visit the UK.

8. MadHater

MadHater Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I spent August in Passau, a lovely small town near Munich, with a ~400€ scholarship. Everything else, including accommodation, sustenance, lectures etc., was already covered by the university. It lasted me a mere two weeks and I'm not a big spender.

Further you go east in Europe, prices are lower (and chick far hotter).

9. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Cost of living? A 1080 Ti is €799 and a Vega 64 is €640 here in Norway.

Jokes aside, you'd be paying in excess of €70 a night in the capital for a good, but not luxurious hotel standard in the off-season. Would be better to look at Airbnb if you're young and not too demanding. Eating at restaurants is considered expensive, a bit more so than in Sweden. Fastfood is much more expensive.