What is the best protection against trojans? Avast and Antivir PE failed.

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Phil, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxStick

foxStick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you right-click on the system tray icon and choose start avast, schedule boot-time scan will be one of the menu options. Once you schedule it, the next time you restart, it will scan your computer before windows actually starts. I find this generally makes the scan go faster and can sometimes catch things that you wouldn't otherwise during a normal scan within windows. It's been a while since I've done a non boot-time scan though, so it's possible there isn't as much of a difference now.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
    A multiple defense approach is best. I feel that the first line of defense should be a firewall. Second to that, AntiSpyWare. Third is AntiVirus. Some of the testing reporting sites actually disable certain aspects of the software they are testing, allegedly to ensure that they are only testing the specific aspect of that software they intend to test. This is a critical flaw in testing methodology in my opinion as software is often not intended to be artificially crippled in this manner. Unless one takes a systemic view of security, whether via separate products or via a suite, something will invariably get through.

And, quite honestly Phil, I'm getting a little annoyed with your spamming of these forums with multiple posts in multiple forums in multiple topics on essentially the same post and topic. You may well have something to say, but either say it once and refer to it elsewhere or cut it out.

3. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    ooh where is that coming from?

The only reason I started another thread was that I changed the subject.

At first I was looking for a good tool to protect me from trojans. That was one thread I started.

The second thread I start was a test and discussion on the general quality of virus scanners.

How is that spamming?

Are there any more people who think I am spamming the forums?
    Maybe I will keep my testresults to myself.

4. HerrKaputt

HerrKaputt Elite Notebook User

Reputations:
    AKA, I agree with Phil on this one. I honestly don't think he's spamming the forums. He merely switched subject and therefore started another thread.

This is much much better than starting a thread that after 3 or 4 pages is on a completely different subject.

5. Sub-D

Sub-D Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be fair, I don't think that the multiple posts constitute spamming but it would be excellent if a mod could merge the threads together considering how similar the topics are. I don't believe there is enough of a switch in topical matter to merit a new thread though.

Still, its certainly not spam.

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
    All right. Apologies. Not spam. But a thread merge would be good. Perhaps even a sub-forum for "Security" to include such things as AV, Anti-spyware, Firewalls?

7. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    I can not find this in the free version of Avast. Maybe it's only in the paid version?

8. swarmer

swarmer beep beep

Reputations:
    It's in the free version.

Right-click the system tray icon.
    Choose "Start Avast antivirus".
    After the memory scan, it shows a window with one drop-down menu. In the default skin, this is an image that looks like the icon for an eject button. It's near the top-left of the window, in any case.
    From that menu, choose "Schedule boot-time scan..."

9. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    yep. got it. thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.