What is the best of the free antivirus programs?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by ShaunJ1380, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaunJ1380

ShaunJ1380 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I plan to go out and buy Kaspersky (sp?) at some point, but for now I would like to try a free AV. I have never used a free AV. I have always been of the opinion that if it's free it probably sucks.

2. inap

inap .........................

Reputations:
    i'm using microsoft security essential been pretty good.

3. tuenkamen

tuenkamen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AVG Free edition

4. hub1100

hub1100 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Microsoft Security Essentials. main reason? = very low resource usage.
    Im a 5 year Norton convert and never thought I would do that.

5. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'll put in my vote for Microsoft Security Essentials, main reason it's free other is it's just as good as the paid ones.
    Bonus is it's not a resource hog.

6. Avengement

Avengement Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hate resource hogging programs. There's nothing that ticks me off more. MSE FTW

7. Coops025

Coops025 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use avast as it doesnt take up much and ive never has a virus since i started using it.

It's free!!!

8. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    I have tried all the free anti-virus , but the detection rates are poor , files that virus total says that are infected come up clean.

Now i have started using the free "comodo internet security and firewall" , and it`s detection rates are very good, I just hope they are not false positives, though comodo is quite cpu intensive and my cpu is frequently are 70-100% when scanning.

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Detection rates for free av's like MSE, Avira and Avast 5 are on the level (if not surpassing in some cases) of most paid and 'quality' programs.

I see no reason to invest money in a security suite since it's an overkill and entirely unnecessary due to available quality free av's (plus, Kapersky in latest versions slows the system down a lot - evidenced on several computers).

10. T120ted

T120ted Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been using and recommending free antivirus for years. Most paid for programs are resource hogs and the free ones are just as good. This last 6 months I used Panda that is a paid for program and I had all kinds of problems. I just switched it over to Comodo and it detected a butload that passed Panda and now everything is running fine. I'm glad There's people that still believe in free programming. I thought I'd try but I'm back to my free stuff and very satisfied. By the way, In 5 years the only time I had a virus trojan problem was with the Panda software. i use Avira, Comodo, Avast. Which ever I feel like installing on that build or laptop I'm working on. You'll be glad you did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.