What is the best cooling pad for a 15.6 gaming laptop?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RicardoTeixeira, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Viares Strake

Viares Strake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That looks pretty well designed and crafted. The plastic apron is an interesting idea to force the desired vacuum

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    cfe likes this.
  3. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    there have been disussions here over the years, and fans can cause turbulence leading to less efficient airflow. the last time i used i used a cooling pad almost a decade ago, it did lead to lesser cooling on my sager laptop. ive just propped up my laptop since then.

5. MyHandsAreBurning

MyHandsAreBurning Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I attached 2 USB powered 12mm fans to a notepal u3. Running Cinebench 23 on my heavily undervolted system for 30 mins each, the laptop (nh58AF1/apex 15) sustained 64.8C with the fans compared to 67.0 without. Idle is hard to measure due to windows crap, but I would guess the fans are shaving off at most 1C off the idle temps. Pretty marginal gains which is kinda expected given that the laptop's cooling was decent to begin with, and I was using off the shelf 5V fans.

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm sceptical of this insulated design. I did an experiment with a 4 fan cooler, where I put an insulating tape around the edges of the laptop to direct the airflow to the bottom vents. Terrible temps resulted.

7. MyHandsAreBurning

MyHandsAreBurning Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    FWIW, I have tried the notepal U3 with 2 sets of fans:

AC Infinity Quiet Dual USB 120mm fan
    (104 CFM, 19 dbA, 1mm H2O, 2.9W)

2x Noctua NF P-12 redux-1300 + random usb to dual 3-pin 12V cable off Aliexpress
    (108 CFM, 19.8 dbA (single), 1.68mm H2O, 0.6W (single) ).
    I chose this particularly for its static pressure and airflow balance, while maintaining a decent volume (without a way to control power, the fans will always run at full)

I got the Noctuas on a discount making the two pretty even on cost, but prices will depend on your availability and region.
    Both were silent enough but the AC Infinity could be heard humming/vibrating at max speed.

Performance wise, the AC Infinity reduced load temps by 2C and idle by about 1C. I have only just installed the Noctua, but my (placebo?) first impression is that it is a little better, but not by much. Possibly more powerful case fans can be used (I wasn't expecting the Noctua to actually be that quiet), but as far as USB powered fans go I don't think there is very much more improvement out there to be had.

Mileage as always will depend on your laptop, and louder and much more expensive options include the NF-A12x25 5V and NF-F12

Edit: Having tested with the Noctua (as with the AC Infinity, Cinebench23 30 mins). Results (as compared to naked notepal U3)

AC Infinity: 2.2C load / ~1C idle
    Noctua: 3.6C load / ~2.5C idle

The relative gap between the two (and as a percentage of delta from ambient temperature), actually narrows slightly on load, probably because the laptop fans are themselves working much harder, meaning they don't benefit as much from the external fans pushing air in.

It does mean that I can run my fans much more silently for light workloads, which is very nice. Total cost (excluding the AC Infinity) was roughly 50USD, but really fun :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021