What is the best cooling pad for a 15.6 gaming laptop?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RicardoTeixeira, Apr 30, 2018.

1. RicardoTeixeira

RicardoTeixeira Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Buying a new gaming laptop that gets really hot on the bottom side. I was wondering what is the most efficient cooling pad today?

2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You'd probably achieve better results with some carefully placed thermal pads and basic common-sense thermo-dynamic based mods. Depends what model of laptop you're talking though I suppose.

3. RicardoTeixeira

RicardoTeixeira Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am buying a MSI GS65. It will come with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces. I read people are having thermal issues with this laptop but I am not sure if it's just people that want to justify returning it. So I am making my research about what I can do to lower the temp on my GS65 already. :)

Maleko48 likes this.
  4. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you can manage a -0.120V or more undervolt, that will help boat loads.

Additionally, you can see an outside-the-box approach of passive cooling I am experimenting with on my Dell 7577 right now that I just posted tonight (even though it really doesn't need any additional cooling for any sane, normal use case scenario):

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...methods-on-metal-laptop-bodies-frames.816451/

5. boricuafly

boricuafly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cooler Master NotePal U3 - Laptop Cooling Pad with 3 Movable Fans

TheChosen0ne and RicardoTeixeira like this.
  6. Lanecero

Lanecero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. XiCynx

XiCynx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I couldn't agree with this more. I have one for my laptop and it greatly helps the temps stay cool by pumping air into the open ducts. Now grant it, it does depend on how many air slots your laptop has on the bottom of it as once that has next to none won't benefit as much as some that are much more open. Are you able to see what the bottom cover of the laptop looks like? If you have a dremel you can modify it and hot glue some mesh covers over where you cut to help improve airflow, just depends on what you're willing to do!

8. X2P

X2P COOLING | NBR Super Mod

Reputations:
    Hey there,

From what I can see, the MSI GS65 has most of it's ventilation in the back. It's great to target this area as it keeps airflow moving inside the laptop, but keep in mind if you can hit the bottom where it's not vented, you'll still get an effect.

Take a look at the Coolermaster Notepal U3 since you could target a couple spots on the back and one on the front. Alternatively, checkout the Coolermaster Notepal X3. I've tested the X1 and X2 and it always seemed to give good numbers with a few different gaming laptops.

Anyways good luck!

9. sucker4pa1n

sucker4pa1n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used to lug around a Targus Chill Mat because I liked the neoprene, and it worked well enough. I never even bothered with the fans because simply the elevation made enough of a difference. Recently I picked up the Targus AWE83 because it's essentially the same thing and my GT60 0NE-403US fits on it nicely. Don't really use the fans much but again, it's mostly elevation. And when I do use them it doesn't seem to cause any negative effects. The fans are quiet but move air. I guess it depends on how much air flow you want, how loud you're willing to go, etc. From my anecdotal experience it seems like as long as you keep the intakes free and not blocked, any active airflow is just a plus.

10. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Just buy any stand that will keep the laptop raised above your desk or lap. You don't need fans on the pad. If you still have thermal issues even when putting a fanless stand underneath or fanless pad - your laptop is defective (there is a bad thermal paste application or uneven heatsink surface) in which case you should return it. Nobody should rely on band-aid fixes like pad fans to deal with defects.

Papusan and sucker4pa1n like this.