what is the best anti-virus software

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by petty77, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IdontexistM8

IdontexistM8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One thing I've wondered about Avira since installing it on an old laptop is why it's VM is so high in comparison to system?

2. System64

System64 Windows 7 x64

Reputations:
    Technically speaking there is no such thing as best antivirus/security suite. It's much on the user's preference and trust on the particular antivirus brand + reviews. As long as the antivirus protects your computer without incident, it's the best for the user.

3. bmwrob

bmwrob Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wasn't even aware that there were threats to Linux machines. If that's the case, my computer has been at risk since I became a Linux user, which, is ironic because I use Ubuntu normally when I'm online - obviously precisely when the machine needs protection.

One of the reasons I switched to Linux from XP was to avoid AV, antispyware and all the updates, scans and effort which go into keeping a computer safe. Guess I'm going to have to look a little deeper into this situation. :(

4. scooberdoober

scooberdoober Penguins FTW!

Reputations:
    Don't worry, there is no legitimate virus threat to Linux that I'm aware of ATM. I just like the idea of having an AV on my Linux system so that I don't inadvertently become a conduit to transfer viruses to a Windows system. Because I do share files between them.

5. BlackRussian

BlackRussian Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    F-Prot anti virus v3.16F and Comodo Firewall v2.4 or v3 for me on a XP Pro system. Now running Vista with Avast 4.7 Pro anti virus & Comodo Firewall & Defense+ v3 works very well for me... Just to add spybot and Trojan Remover also installed. ;)
    If it was not for the fact that F-Prot 3.16F is not supported on Vista I'll still be using it now.

6. Thrill620

Thrill620 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Lots of good discussion here about the best a/v, adware, spam, etc.

If I am interested in full coverage for my laptop (and who isnt?)
    ANDI dont mind paying for it (but free is always nice)
    AND I am interesting in reducing the resource footprint that Norton and McAffe are notorious for eating up..

what are some of the setups that are recommended that cover all hazards but use less system resources?
    In other words, If you pick up Kasperky or NOD32 but still need a suite for full firewall, adware, malware protection, etc. Would you be back where you started from (as far as system resources) than if you just stayed with Norton?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.