what is the best anti-virus software

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by petty77, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmwrob

bmwrob Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    . . . and I was joking, Thomas, when I asked about antispyware.

2. Fewmets

Fewmets Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :p :p

I still think that it's quite the viable antivirus, takes my idle ram usage up abt. 2% or so.

In addition, for business situations (e.g. a relative's small business, which is partially what I use the liscence for), I just feel more comfortable using a professional software, although I'll be sure to check out some of the freeware out there now that I've seen so many recommendations for it.

3. burningrave101

burningrave101 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or had one that Norton detected anyways ;). In all seriousness though most people do not get very many virus's in their lifetime unless they're downloading a lot of executable software from questionable websites and I'm sure you all know what I mean by that. Normally it's a rare occasion to run onto a virus doing normal web browsing and downloading known content from trusted websites. You're normally far more at risk for spyware and possibly a trojan or worm instead of a virus. Kaspersky is noted to have the highest detection rate for malware of this nature amongst consumer products.

I remember when that one worm infected so many PC's, including mine, and caused the system to automatically shutdown after so many seconds every time you would connect to the internet through the use of a buffer overflow. I'm pretty sure I had Norton installed at the time and it didn't do anything to catch this worm and fix the issue. I had to disable the service that was getting hit with the buffer overflow and then download a patch from Microsoft to fix it.

4. Thomas

Thomas McLovin

Reputations:
    Yee, but its a helluva a time to remove.

5. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not if you just un-install it and use norton removal tool.

6. Fewmets

Fewmets Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Actually, my main complaint w/ Norton used to be its scans - I would literally have to leave my PC for a few hours just to let the thing scan for viruses/adware every week, got to the point that I would just stop scanning. However, w/ Duo Core processors, scanning has become much less of an issue because now you can easliy pull off scanning and other (non-gaming) applications @ the same time. The Norton scan is just ridiculously rough on RAM/processor usage (then again, at the time i was running a 1.9GHz P4).:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. scooberdoober

scooberdoober Penguins FTW!

Reputations:
    I recommend Avira AntiVir. :cool:

8. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    For what reasons scoober?

9. scooberdoober

scooberdoober Penguins FTW!

Reputations:
    The free version is great, I've used it, and it's less resource intensive than many others out there. It consistently gets high marks from researchers and tests, and it's also available for Linux, which means a lot to me. :cool:

10. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's for the same reason that i use it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.