What is the best anti-virus/internet security software?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Elite Cataphract, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Signal2Noise

Signal2Noise Über-geek.

Reputations:
    You can't go wrong with either Nod32 or Kaspersky.

Fwiw, Kaspersky IS is currently on sale in my neck of the woods (Future Shop/Best Buy) for $19.99. A hell of a deal. And overall, you usually can find KIS for a much better price than Nod.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
    Most forums have long ago banned the "What is the best..." thread. Many still allow "Which is better, A or B" as long as responses say why and stick to "A" and "B".

3. thecollegekid

thecollegekid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am using Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 2009. Works well for me.

4. lsumarkb

lsumarkb Newbie

Reputations:
    I think the main point of this question is to find an anti-virus that is not going to suck the life out of the resources...hence no one uses Norton. I think if people would like, a good option would be to post the current memory usage your A/V is using at the moment.

5. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The one that's best? Why, the one that catches only those things I run into, never hits a false positive (Avira constantly seems to think that the downloaded installable for Visual Studio express edition contains a heuristic virus), and never stops me from doing what I want to do.:D :D Which one meets all of those criteria? Beats me; you've got to try em all and find the one that fits (sort of like buying pants off the remainder rack in K-mart, with all the size tags either removed or clearly wrong - you just gotta put 'em on and see if they fit).

6. Takashi

Takashi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will NOD32 interfer with WoW gameplay? I had panda back in the day and it caused problems...

7. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it does, it's highly configurable. Free for 30 days or only $29.99 on NewEgg see the link on the main page

8. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So, which is better?....:D Or is there a third way, in which case, to be grammatically proper, the question would have to be, what is the best...?:D:D

9. Dook

Dook Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    NOD32, Kaspersky and Avira are the top 3 and Avira can be had absolutely free. I was a DIE-HARD NOD user, that is until I tried Avira.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.