What is the best anti-virus,firewall in terms of load on the processor ?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Laptopaddict, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleverpseudonym

cleverpseudonym PG RATED

Reputations:
    nod32 uses the least amount of processor during idle periods, and only uses 50-60% during scans. probably the best suite avaiable, but Panda is also great, i use NOD32 on my laptops and Panda on all my workstations & my personal Desktop. NIS,Macafee are all resourse hogs&, IMHO are benifiting from good marketing and name recognition. the only "name" suite worth anything is kaspesky, but it uses a decent amout of resources to be optimal for a basic laptop.

2. catacylsm

catacylsm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    hard drive drags down speed mainly doesnt it? (well i notice that the realtime scanning feature turned off speeds up my machine so it must be)

I never have CPU issues though, i run comodo internet suite and all the windows gear to keep me safe :)

3. MrX8503

MrX8503 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Antivir and Comodo.

Those are my recommendations. Don't be fooled by it being free. Even though they are free programs, they are the best antivirus/firewall progs out there.

4. comrade_commissar7

comrade_commissar7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ESET Smart Security is the best! :)

5. KarenA

KarenA Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I prefer Avira AntiVir.
    Reasons?
    1. Free (I'm a cheapo)
    2. Best detection rates according to AV Comparative
    3. Lightweight (low CPU and memory use)

For Firewall, Windows Firewall plus Router is enough for me. I used to use Comodo Firewall (without D+) but some of its updates and installation messed up my computer a few times and I grew tired of it.
    My favorite firewall was Sygate Personal Firewall. It is not free, but I never encounter any problem while using it (unlike CPF). The bad is, its updates stopped years ago.
    I used to be a user of Outpost Firewall when I tried to find a replacement for Sygate Personal Firewall, my biggest complain back then was the program starting time was slow and was quite a memory hog. It was years ago though, I cannot speak for the current Outpost.

You know, it is not cool to post/type like that. Plus, did Eset pay you to do advertisement for them?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  6. comrade_commissar7

comrade_commissar7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can also try AVAST! anti-virus Home Edition or its Professional Edition (free for 3 months only) which both are absolutely legal and free or its . Both get the latest updates every other day or two to make your PCs/notebooks fully updated to new threats/risks from the net :) The interface is simple but elegant; and the firewall is very easy-to-use and can be personalised to suit your needs. The only con here is the lengthy time of memory test which approximately lasts for 1.5-2.5 minutes before you can access AVAST! window. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.