What is teh best anti-Spyware program

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by MaXimus, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stewie

stewie What the deuce?

Reputations:
    A lot of anti-spyware programs are misleading people in a way, showing all kinds of cookies detected, and most people cannot determine which cookies are ok and which cookies are bad, right away they will think all scanned cookies are bad. M$ probably understand this and this is why it didn't show those cookies that SAS showed. On the other hand, maybe SAS doesn't want people to think their scanner can't detect s**t, so they chose to show everything to the user. Right here is a perfect example, IBO thinks SAS is better than WD, but it might be not the case at all.

2. Icewalker

Icewalker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's 100% true. Excellent point.

3. MaXimus

MaXimus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hmmm you all are starting to convince me...

so if WD FTW?

4. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I've decided to stick with Windows Defender as well. It does the job and as it's been said before i'm suspicious when programs find X10 the problems other programs didn't find. It's funny because those are the ones that want you to buy before fixing anything.

Many on these boards like WD. I do as well and the real time protection is great. :cool:

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
  6. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    If you want Windows Defender to alert you also when it detects software (or software making changes) that has not yet been analyzed by Microsoft WD, then you have to join the 'advanced membership';
    Start Windows Defender, click on Tools, click on Microsoft Spynet and select Join with an advanced membership.
    Cheers.

7. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There's nothing really wrong with WD. For most people, it doesn't detect anything, but also keep in mind that it's low on memory and to my experience, doesn't hinder performance in the least. IMO, it doesn't hurt to have that extra layer of non-intrusive malware protection.

8. AKAJohnDoe

Reputations:
    As I previously said, I vacillate between having WD on and off. It is currently on.

[​IMG]

9. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Doing this will be pretty annoying in certain instances. For example, if you are installing a program, WD will ask your permission many number of times to allow the changes made by the program. I consider "join with basic membership" for average users.

10. AKAJohnDoe

Reputations:
    Or do not join

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.