what is sata raid?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by PC_pulsar, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC_pulsar

PC_pulsar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just a shot question: What is sata raid?

2. blue68f100

blue68f100 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A raid using SATA drives.

3. gethin

gethin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have a read here it will tell you all you ever need to know about RAID

4. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Serail ATA interface in a redundant array of independent disks/drives. Basically where more then one drive s combined into one volume or into mirrors of each other. Basically it helps combine drives into a large single volume with a much better file system (striped), and or allows for a drive to fail and the other to pick up where the other left off. Basically a back up drive. (mirrored)

Read the article for more info.

5. Lil Mayz

Lil Mayz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    quite simply it is the hardware setup of having two or more Hard Drives, each running and storing exactly the same data. The advantage of having RAID is that if you have cruucial documents and files, if one Hard Drives fails, another one kicks in back into action. That is basic RAID 0. Raid 1 and so on get more complicated.

SATA is the new generation of IDE (also called Parallel ATA). It is simply the connection on the motherboard which connects a Hard Drive to the motherboard. The advatage over a SATA connection to a PATA connection is that it offers far better transter rates.

6. gethin

Reputations:
    Actually i'm afraid your wrong, (what your reffering to is RAID 1) Raid 1 is where you have two disks both copies of each other, so if one fails - then the other takes over. Raid 0 is when you stripe the information over 2 disks - so that it increases random access times - but this does not increase reliability - infact it decreases it since if either of the two disks fail then you will be unable to access any of your data.

Read the link i gave.

7. Lil Mayz

Lil Mayz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Raid 0 is rather useless then. It is rather silly to have the RAID 0 system.

8. gethin

Reputations:
    well no, because it is used to increase the speed of accessing data.

But in terms of data protection - then yes it is useless.

9. _radditz_

_radditz_ Fallen to the Sith...

Reputations:
    SATA and PATA are not the same thing nor are the drives interchangeable. A SATA hard drive wil not work in laptop with a PATA a.k.a UATA or ATA/100 interface. Saying they are the same is misleading.

10. PC_pulsar

PC_pulsar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay thanks for the info. So correct me if i'm wrong: If i put a 2nd harddisk in my laptop i can use Raid else i can't use Raid.