1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

What is Digital Line Detection and can i disable it from windows startup?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by louisssss, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. louisssss

louisssss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    exactly as title states: What is Digital Line Detection and can i disable it from windows startup?
    Is it a Lenovo program?

2. gengerald

gengerald Technofile Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    I believe it deals with how you are connected to a telephone line for networking. You should be able to disable this with no issue as long as you are not using the old-school telephone line modem.

3. jonlumpkin

jonlumpkin NBR Transmogrifier

Reputations:
    It is definitely there for the modem. Officially the modem is an analog device and should only be used with a traditional analog telephone line. Some locations (hotels?, Europe) have digital phone lines. There is a potential for a digital phone line to damage the modem, although I have never seen this happen.

You are probably safe to disable it unless you use the modem at lots of different places on a regular basis. My Thinkpad T40 didn't have this tool and I never fried the modem. I think it is actually unlikely that you would use a digital line in your Thinkpad, because most places with a modern enough infrastructure for digital phone lines also have Ethernet or Wi-Fi so you wouldn't use the modem anyway.

4. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've seen it happen many times in olden days. I finally ordered a handful of these and forced them on the group of people I supported threatening them with mayhem if they didn't use them before just blithely plugging their modems into anything that vaguely resembled a phone line.

5. louisssss

louisssss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i dont plan to EVER use the modem so i disabled it from startup

6. t30power

t30power Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yEP, I disabled it to on my T61. Nowadays most hotels have Wi-Fi so I see no point in using the modem unless you will be faxing some documents using the modem. That why the Internet is for anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.